Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

(NOTE: If you are looking for the blog hop post it is just belonw or you can click here).

1. We did have a great snow after all. I was getting a little dubious, but it came. Some sleet followed by much blowing wind and big drifts of snow. The temperatures plummeted and a snow day was here.  (Ps. Isn't B just too adorable in his cool sock monkey hat from Uncle Able?)

2. Snow days are so wildly different than before we had kids or even when I was a kid. I didn't really make it outdoors, but also didn't get to sit around crafting or reading books as apparently many of my facebook friends did. I, you see, telecommute and there was no storm in DC so I had to work anyway and Brent became the childcare for the day. Sigh. Nice to have him here though.

3. Did I mention it was his birthday? Yes? Happy Birthday my darling husband. I love you so very much!

After so much cake, we instead made peanut butter chocolate birthday fudge, complete with sprinkles. M perfected saying "Happy Birthday" in her cutests tiny voice (I have video to share soon!) and there were a few presents too.

4. I am horrible at the present part. I don't want to pick out what he really wants by myself (new cell phones or new TV) and I'm not sure either of us really think we can afford them anyway. It is hard, but he assures me he loves my routine Wii game + Star Wars Lego gifts anyway. Lucky for me he is easy when it comes to presents, but I still feel guilty a bit.

5. Have had some pitty parties for myself lately on the "not being able to afford it" front. Try to remind myself how fortunate we are and that this is a choice we made -- to have more time together and with the kids rather than more money. Also, that it is good that we're frugal with our resources as it lets us do nice things later. Seriously, I can't complain as I'm well paid for sitting around thinking, writing and exercising good judgment. Sometimes still hard. My strategy is to hold one of my kids as close as possible for as long as they let me to remember how much better this time with them is than the money, stuff, big house and granite countertops we've given up to have it. (Sorry, apparently not quite over the pitty party, but always end up being really happy with my choices so all is well).

6. No clue what our plan is going to be for tomorrow. I think Brent wants to go back to work. I don't know what the streets are even like. Due to the wind some are find and some have huge drifts. If he goes back, I would probably have to take off work as I won't have childcare. Tricky decisions. ---oh, and no, he does not get to stay home when the state government is closed because he is somehow, mysteriously, essential personnel as the school cannot close (being a boarding school and whatnot).

7. I am reading the next book in the Pink Carnation series -- The Orchid Affair-- perfectly lovely distraction. The setting is almost precisely where I lived in Paris in the summer of 2000 which makes it all the better for me.

8. I've been doing some scrapbooking over the weekend and am really enjoying the pages. I've been using even more of the Ormolu tags and will share some of my efforts soon. What I've learned most of late is to step away when the creative magic isn't working and let it percolate in my head. When I come back later, the design tends to have come to me and be much better.

9. No Zumba for yet another week due to parties and now snow. Whatever am I going to do?

10. Believe it or not, next Tuesday's post will be coming to you from Washington, DC (weather permitting) as it is time for my quarterly Board prep trip. I am excited, but also nervous/guilty about leaving as usual.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love the Pink carnation books! I think in honor of the snow in Oklahoma, we just might have to take a "no snow" day. It was sunny today, but a chilly 29 when I took the kids to CCD at 7:30am. But it eventually got up to 50. Take care. Have a safe trip to DC.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...