Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One Little Word Blog Hop: January wrap-up

Welcome to the One Little Word blog hop! Below are my thoughts on the first month with my word. .  


The beginning of February marks the end of the first month with my "One Little Word" for 2011: Savor.


(Note: My introduction to this project including the Savor's meaning for me can be found here).


At right, you'll see some of the sample pages from the first month of my OLW class. This month's exercise had us focusing on the meaning of our word from different directions and the beginnings of an artistic look at the word. I had a little trouble getting started as I couldn't decide on a "vision" for the project. I had imagined warm, spicy, "savory" colors, but was getting no where.


Then, the January Cocoa Daisy kit appeared on my doorstep. (This was a surprise as I'd forgotten I'd won it during their fall crop). While flipping through the contents, I noticed a a few sheets from the Little Yellow Bicycle line of papers named, believe it or not: "Savor." These were blues, yellows, pink and cream--- much more "my" colors than spice oriented ones are and I decided the message for me was that the book would reflect my own version of savor and should match my likes and personality if it were going to fit. The cards came together very quickly once I had "Savor" papers in hand and a new acceptance of what Savor could mean.


In attempting to "Savor" this month. I consciously stepped away from technology when my kids are up and around -- at least a bit more. This is something I'll have to continue to work on. I did try to calm my mind and just enjoy the snuggles with my kids rather than looking ahead as much to plan for what I need to do, know or work on next.


I made homemade bread twice and our family ate it all week. I savored the flavors and the luxury of homemade bread and cooked more homemade meals than in December. Out of our home, I tried to be very conscious of my local experiences. I tried local eating establishments and sought out new haunts. I attended Burn the Floor and enjoyed the moment to its fullest.


I'm not sure I did as much on adding "savor" to other people's lives. I wasn't around my friends as much as usual, but did get a good bit of family time. I have this annoying habit when I haven't seen people for awhile of taking a bit to re-warm up with them. This is one of the things I'd like to change so I can savor our time together more from the moment I see them.


On the health side, I did very well with being back at exercise the first two weeks and abysmally the next two for a myriad of reasons. I think my overall eating habits are slowly improving again, but the shear number of parties I've hosted this month didn't help. For February, more thinking about each bite and more exercise should help make me healthier, happier and better able to enjoy all the aspects of my day.


So far, I'm pleased with my progress and excited for a new assignment from Ali to get me thinking more about it on a daily basis again. The next stop on the blog hop is: Sam http://learncreatedo.wordpress.com/
 


The full participant list is below in case you happen on to a problematic link or want to jump around.  I'd love to hear from the participants or passers-by and am looking forward to seeing everyone else's posts!  


UPDATED:  Bonus:  I'll do a give away to one of my commentors of the May Roads What's Cookin' Mini Chipboard Set (from that same Cocoa Daisy January kit) to see if I can share some of the Savor and inspiration. 



3) Monica http://scraplifters.blogspot.com  
15) Relly http://rel.ly
23) Debra (MY MOM!!!)  http://blakleyhomeplace.blogspot.com
32) Margaret http://www.gutsymom.blogspot.com
33) Sharyn http://www.analteredlife.com

Posted by Picasa

27 comments:

Donna said...

Oh! What a fabulous word!

Rebekah said...

I agree, wonderful word. TFS your thoughts...love your creative pages with your new paper collection!

Cassie_lu said...

way to go on "owning" your word and the colors you choose for it

Monica said...

I love "your" version of savor colors. beautiful! I can so relate to your reasons behind the word savor. I chose mine for many of the same ones but I chose "Present" Good luck on your continuing journey!

Sharyn said...

Your word is perfect - and your ways of having it revolve around your reasons. Funny how so many of us want to find a balance, to step back from the net and savour more "living" than recording. That Cocoa Daisy kit great - your colours are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Great choice! Enjoy :)

April said...

Love how your cocoa daisy kit showed up with "savor" paper. I hope you continue to savor all that you hold close.

Jan B said...

Mmmmm, savor. GREAT word! Love all the implications. Love how you're thinking about it and welcoming it. :)

Cheri said...

Love that the inspiration for your album showed up on your doorstep! How cool - great story.

MonicaB said...

I really like your word. Best wishes to savor everything this year!

Miranda said...

I love how you found your papers for this project! It looks great.

MarleneMAZ said...

Wow what a great coincidence on finding those papers! Love your title page, the colours are great.

Maureen Reynolds said...

What a wonderful word. Savor. So much better than perhaps gobble, or gulp and we (I) often tend to try to do the latter with life.

Perfect serendipity with the Cocao Daisy kit!

Heather Hare said...

Love your story about the Cocoa Daisy kit. Those are great colors and your projects turned out very nice! Good luck with your word this year! :)

jillconyers said...

Wonderful beginning to your OLW album. And your word will surely be a rewarding journey.

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by your post! You sound like you are approaching this project with gusto. I love how your project turned out and colors are great together. I will be more aware today of SAVORing every moment! Thanks for joining in on the blog hop!

Tere Azua said...

I love your word... I may use it next year!!!!!
Thank You so much for the inspiration!

Make your own ESCAPE said...

How cool that your paper was named "savor"! That must have been a sign. :) Great job on the January page!!

www.makeyourownescape.blogspot.com

Kat said...

that kit must have just been meant to be - congrats on your win btw. Great word choice and I loved reading about all the things you have been able to savor this month.

Becky said...

Ohhh great word! I love where you're taking it, too. I am really enjoying seeing the words everybody has chosen and the direction they've decided to focus on.
You page looks lovely and the kit you have used is perfect!

Kimberly said...

great word and what you have done with it so far!

mandyb said...

love this word!! and that the kit has helped in this documentation!!! so fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing how your savor papers turned up when you needed them...and the colors are beautiful.

Brenda in Sunny SoCal. said...

love you word!as a weekly baker (kid with allergies, long story) all I can tell you is the yeast matters, it might be lots cheaper at costco, but most time than not it has been sitting in a hot warehouse for so long it will not activate, it is in fact dead....

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

I love how you have embraced your word and really trying to incorporate it into your life!!!! Fabulous story of how your papers fit into OLW!!!! xoxo

Lucy Newton said...

Love your word! I am a gourmet, so it really hits the spot, but also savoring life and daily moments with our families and friends, savoring life itself, and the blessings that come our way!!!

cia said...

I really like your word - and I think it's awesome how your page for the Jan. prompt is filled with "savor" paper. Funny how our words crop up like that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...