Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

This is week seven in our Thankful Thursday installments:


I am thankful for: Parenthood

Parenthood is a weird and wonderful thing.  It has completely reshaped my life and I am eternally grateful.  I feel like I've been watching parenthood and being thankful for parenthood in many ways this week.  On Sunday, I watched my friends Peter and Bethany celebrate their first year as parents at their daughter Ashtyn's first birthday party.  On Monday, I tried to work on parenting without hurting myself and had to let go and let Brent take over while I napped and let myself heal.  On Tuesday, I let my mom take care of me while I was sick and watch her take care of my kids too while I was in no shape to do so.  I tried to let go of guilt about napping and let my Mom be my Mom and help me heal. (*This is mildly weird if you're familiar with my mom and us being sick... she is not really that in to babying sick folks along, but was quite compassionate and patient with my drug-induced sleepiness even while my children wore her ragged).  Tuesday also brought Jennie and Gavin's very first day as parents to baby Corwyn.  I was so incredibly delighted for them an anxious to meet the new member of our extended crew of a family.  

On Wednesday, Brent's mom came and watched our kids so that we could go welcome the Palfreymans into parenthood.  In that we have a big circle of parenthood.  Brent's parents helping us, their kids, welcome our friends' entry into parenthood.  A big circle of parenting all around.  I adored meeting baby Corwyn.  I have never seen my own children so young or so little.  I was immediately enamored by his tiny feet, soft hair and little adorable head.  I pondered this a minute and, I think, beyond being naturally cute, I love him immediately because I love his parents.  They are each amazing, beautiful people that I treasure having in our lives.  As much as we were going on an unusual date, just the two of us, to meet Corwyn, it was really also largely about welcoming Jennie and Gavin into this next step in their journey together and with us: Parenthood.  

I also think more about parenthood now that my Dad isn't alive to part of my journey.  He would miss us so much whenever we were apart even for a few days.  I can't begin to express how much I miss him now and cling to the belief that he is with me somehow because I cannot bear the thought of him not getting to see my precious Maggie walk and talk. (Cue streaming tears and more pain in my chest).

-- Back to safer ground ---Parenthood now shapes every minute of my day and every painful breath.  I hold a maze of logistics in my head to keep us all together and properly prepared.  I hold snuggly, wiggly bodies and explain the necessity of socks.  I do not wear a suit everyday anymore or meet face-to-face with clients, but I do track down blankets and wander with my headset chatting with my colleagues long-distance.  I have watched the pains of the incredible love of parenthood as my sister and her husband waited for their baby's surgery.  I have felt the fear of possible unknown birth defects while bearing my own son and the joy of knowing he was fine.  I have experienced the loss of a miscarriage and the joy of a big healthy, happy baby girl.  I have cringed and cried over my children's injuries and laughed as they tickle my feet.  I embrace the daily complexities and the joys of the exceptional moments.  Parenthood is, for me, one of life's most incredible blessings that I get to share with the love of my life and the children we've brought into this world.  As with most blessings, there is risk of great pain, but I would not trade it not even in the flailing fits of two-year old wackiness for life without.  We all make choices and this is not always possible and is not part of everyone's dream, but it is part of my truly amazing life.

I am so thankful for parenthood, for my children, my parents and for the friends that I get to share the experience with.  Welcome Palfreymans to a wild and wonderful ride.  We love you!

2 comments:

Emy Moody said...

Beautifully written and so true! Can you remember what you and Brent did before children? I find that my life was probably pretty boring before my two boys came along.

Gavin said...

I am not nearly as eloquent as you, but we love you and your family too! I am excited for miss Maggie and B to meet young Corwyn as well, and to get pictures with his wonderful Aunt and Uncle Richards. Hope you continue to feel better today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...