Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ten Today

This is going to be quick and a day late as so often happens when I'm away:

1.  I arrived in DC safely on Tuesday with no travel issues.  I even managed to sleep on the plane for once!  This makes the trip much faster.  (I did get assigned the desk/office where I heard the confirmation that my Dad had died and received all my condolences so that was a tough moment to relieve, but better than my desk in the hall from last time.)

2.  I made Banana Chocolate Chip cookies for my office and they were quite the hit.  Several people told me they were the best cookie ever.  I am not so sure, but so glad they enjoyed them.

3.  Last night, GW transitioned its email to a new set-up.  The weird part was that for 12 hours or so we COULD NOT check our work email. (6pm to about 6am).  You might think we wouldn't be anyway, but we usually are, at least in my shop, so it was a very strange sensation, particularly during Board week.

4. I don't make plans here on Tuesday yesterday as I typically work late, but due to the email situation we mostly packed up by 7 or so.  I didn't feel like dinner and just went to the hotel and read.  Believe it or not, I went to sleep at 8:30 (woke up briefly to talk to Brent around 11:30) and then slept until 7:15! That's nearly 11 hours of sleep!  Partially accidentally as I needed to wake up at 6, but neglected to notice that my blackberry was still on central time resulting in my having about 15 minutes to get ready for work.  Sigh.

5.  How goes the snow storm in OK? I hear some murmurings, but would be interested to hear.

6.  There are parts of my life/vocabulary that have moved on since motherhood or my move to Oklahoma.  Case in point: Rail Drinks -- -This is not a phrase I can recall hearing in OK, but suppose it is because I don't go to bars/happy hour there.  I used to go to happy hour once or twice a month here with friends, sometimes more so it is odd that when I saw the phrase rail drinks I had to search my memory to imagine what such a thing would even be.

7.  Colleagues - I love mine and it is so great to be back with them.  I get lots of hugs, help and we have a good time together. Thanks to them all.

8.  Childcare - I'm sure you're wondering where our kids are.  My mom basically moved in for the middle of the week.  She was coming Tues & Thurs but with the snow storm we decided it made the most sense for her to stay straight through as we anticipated MDO would be canceled (it was) and there was no sense in her driving back and forth.  I can feel more calm knowing they are all there together too which is awesome.  The initial reports are that they had a great time yesterday.  I even got some pictures from my Mom's new phone so very cool all around.

9.  Tonight & tomorrow I get to see my law school buddies here.  Should be very fun.  I miss them and love that we get to have these little min-reunions when I'm in town.

10.  It is always hard to leave for DC, amazing to be here, and wonderful to come home.  That first break away complete with Mommy guilt is so hard. I worry about what if something happened to me or to them.  I feel guilty that I get this treat and wonder if it is the best choice.  I always come back believing that it is and that we are so very lucky.

2 comments:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

It did indeed snow here and is still snowing but not tons. Able slept over so he, Brent and I are all here with the kids. Mags had a couple of upchucking moments yesternight but all is well.

Mary said...

You left us in suspense. What are rail drinks?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...