Saturday, November 22, 2008

My favorite Mac 'N Cheese

At long last, Scott has gently nudged me into typing up my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe to share. I love home made mac 'n cheese and searched far and wide to find one that met my specifications. Many recipes were too dry or not cheese enough or too creamy or something. Finally, I discovered this fabulous baked version in Pam Anderson's Perfect Recipes for Having People Over. I, of course, had to tweak it a bit partially by happy accident I discovered that more broth really was great (mis-read the amounts one time). This has been my go-to recipe for people with new babies or other life events and a favorite here too. Hope you all enjoy it as well.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
1 pound elbow macaroni (or other small pasta shape)
32 saltine crackers (I leave these out, but you can make a topping with them if you want)
2 tablespoons butter melted (Goes with crackers for topping)
2 cans evaporated milk (12 ounces each - fat free doesn't really work, but 2% or whole does)
1 can (14 -16 oz) chicken broth (Recipe calls for 1 c.)
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon (1.5 tsp) Dijon mustard (recipe calls for 1.5 tablespoons)
1/2 c. grated/shredded Parmesan cheese
16 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated ( I use Kraft's 2% shredded sharp cheddar)
Ground black pepper

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add salt and pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente (follow package directions for time). Drain and immediately pour onto a large rimmed baking sheet to cool

Cracker topping - mix crackers and melted butter in a small bowl; set aside (I don't make this part)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine milk and chicken broth in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave until hot and steamy. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pan over medium high heat (I use the pot I made the pasta in). Whisk in flour when butter is fully melted. Allow to cook just a bit till bubbly (if too dry add a bit more butter. Add hot milk/broth mixture all at once and continue to whisk until thick and bubbly - 3-6 minutes. Whisk in mustard and Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in pasta an season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can eat at this point if you don't want to bake it, will be less dry).

Turn pasta into a 13x9 inch baking pan. Top with cracker crumbs (if using). Bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve.

2 comments:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

Sound like one I found just yesterday in the Mitford Cook Book, except it has added (and I love this) 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, two shakes of cayenne pepper and
a dollop of sour cream. Glad you shared.

Summer said...

I cannot wait to try this! I am mac and cheese afficiando, but have never found one that I like enough to make repeatedly. Sounds like this one is wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...