Monday, November 10, 2008

Pondering the Camera

I am still pondering the camera situation. The big question is if I'm ready to jump up to the SLR range of camera or to stay with the more standard digital cameras. I am interested in photography and taking better pictures, but don't actually know much about the extra features I would get with the SLR (I am researching on CNET and various other sites). I think I would have to, in good conscience, take a class online or in person if I got the SLR).

Technically, I have money saved in our electronics fund that would cover the cost of either, but there is an argument I should leave some there for the next computer purchase which is probably only 18 months away or so. (Yes, we're a two computer family on about a 3-5 year cycle per machine -- nuts, but just always seem to break about then beyond what we're willing to fix). My main concerns about the SLR is size and if I'll use the functionality. I do love that we can slip our current camera in a pocket or the diaper bag and have it handy whenever. That said, there is a point where clearer pictures and faster shutter speed with overall quality might improve the measure. Any advice for me as I know some of you have each.

Tentative Possible Contenders: (Try not to look too much at the prices as it stresses me a bit and they don't all match up as some may be just the body without the lense).

SLR
Nikon D80
Nikon D40 (Jessica Sprague's choice -- or the D50 or D60)
Canon Rebel XSi (Ali Edwards,Karen Russell, Elizabeth K's Choices)

Non-SLR
Canon S3 is - Seems somewhere in between small and the SLRs (Chrissie's Recommendation)

Sony Cybershot - (Audra's current wish)
Casio Exilim EX-V8 (7x optical zoom -- the newer version of what we have now).

Hmmm, I need to pick soon as Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming and I feel so weird without a camera in hand as we attend all the events of late. I'll keep looking, but any ideas or advice would be great!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

We have the nikon D40x. I think you used it a bit on Saturday. We love it. Yes, it is a bit cumbersome to travel with, but overall I prefer it to the small digital. It comes with a DVD training on all the features. We do not use all the features, as we have not taken the time to learn them.

r said...

I'm all about the camera that can fit in the diaper bag. My old, old digital camera that just broke down was a Sony Cybershot, and I liked it okay, but it uses proprietary memory cards, which can be a pain as they are not transferrable into devices from other brands.

The camera I have now is a Nikon Coolpix S550. I've really enjoyed it in the couple of months that I've had it now. I think we'll go with SLR at some point, but for now, I catch more memories by having a small camera than by having a fancy one.

Jamie said...

Oh - and if you go with a nikon - ask me about which flash to purchase. Bob has one that is so cool and I am asking for it for christmas - it lets you shoot super fast continously with a flash but without pausing.

Anonymous said...

Abbey,
Get a camera ASAP, I haven't seen new pics of my neph in like a week and i'm super sad.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...