Monday, November 3, 2008

Sunshine albums for children

It is November and time to focus on giving thanks. One of the things I'm most thankful for is having a healthy little boy. As you may remember there were various points in the pregnancy where this was in doubt for various reasons, which has made me doubly thankful. Also, my sister is thinking of being a pediatric nurse and her training has exposed her to children suffering so many different hardships.

To express my gratitude for my own healthy child and reach out to those currently struggling with health issues I plan to participate in the Sunshine albums for children project. Essentially, participants make small (no bigger than 8x8) blank album for children in one of two designated hospitals. As I live west of the Mississippi now, my book(s) will go to Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital in St.Louis, Mo. (Coincidentally, one of the hospitals where Audra has interviewed). Instructions for the project as well as submission information is at the above link and additional updates are here. I've never done anything like this but hope that even if I make just one it will brighten the lives of some child and their family a little bit. I thought I'd share this project with you in case others of you would like to participate.

Another alternative for those of you that find the craft aspect intimidating but still want to participate is http://www.childsplaycharity.org/ . Brent has participated in this "Gamers Charity" over the years and we've really liked it. Essentially, you find a children's hospital in your area and it shows you it Amazon.com "wishlist." (You know how Brent & I love Amazon wishlists:)) From the list you can choose what you'd like to donate and it is shipped directly to the hospital you chose as a donation in your name. The items on the list usually include books, toys, games, movies, etc.

In any case, I encourage you take some time today to give thanks for the well wonderful child you have and consider a prayer or act to help those that are not so lucky. Welcome to a month of Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

DebW said...

Thanks so much for your support!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...