Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Part I - Cooking






One of the great things about moving back is that now I get to contribute to family feasts! When you live far away this usually doesn't work, or you end up making your own at a distance. This year, I was tasked with the pies. I made an Apple-Pumpkin Pie and a Pecan Pie (using the Dotter recipe below) on Wednesday evening. On Thursday, I got up before the boys and made a blackberry cobbler for brunch (because Brent & Zach love it). Once we made it to the farm, Audra and I made some festive pilgrim hat center pieces/desserts with help from Nick. We also helped with various other prep work such as making cornbread, dicing onions, and celery for the dressing, chopping up bread, setting the table, etc. It is a lot of fun to cook with my Mom, Sister, Grandpa, Aunt Ann and this time cousin Nick helped! I loved it. My Aunt Janet did her cooking in advance, but brought a tremendous amount of delicious cookies, fudge, and toffee. Grandpa came early and made the dressing, Harvard beets and gravy with some help from my mom and Aunt Ann. Mom did the turkey early and she made the potatoes and green beans with Aunt Ann as a fun sisters project. (Ok, so fun and frustrating both at times). The meal was delicious and nearly every bit was gone by the end of the day. Hope you enjoy the pictures and recipe!

Dotter Pecan Pie

1 pie crust - par-baked for 15 covered in foil and 10 minutes without at 350 degrees

1/3 c. cream
3 eggs
1 c. Brown Sugar
3/4 c. Corn Syrup
salt
1 tsp. vanilla
drop of mapline (maple extract or sub in some maple syrup for a portion of the corn syrup)
1 to 1.5 c. pecan halves

Heat Oven to 375 degrees.

Mix above ingredients. Pour into pre-baked pie shell. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes and then for another 40-50 minutes at 325 degrees. Cover the edges of the crust if they start to brown too quickly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...