Thursday, December 11, 2008

Love Thursday: Sweetness or is it Bittersweet?



I am feeling sappy and Thankful today. B has his moments, but he really does make parenting so much easier than it could be for us most of the time. Things vary of course as just a couple months ago he was driving me nuts nearly every day. Right now though, he is a sweet boy and already so helpful. Today, he helped me measure all the ingredients for Scott's birthday cupcakes. He helped move the clothes through the laundry cycle (between machines, etc) and helped measure and stir the ingredients for lunch. He has transitioned to his big boy bed like a pro and handled his sickness this week with probably better humor than Brent and I handled ours last week. He says "hi" and "bye" to everyone we encounter and now spends trips to Target identifying things rather than screaming (see earlier crazy months). It is amazing how much he has learned and grown in less than two years.

Today, as occasionally happens, I had a teleconference for work while he was awake. (Yes, cue mommy guilt here). He was just so good. He watched some Kermit, played with his balls, turned on his tunes, ate his cheerios and wandered around peacefully entertaining himself. He was such a sweet good boy. I could mute the call most of the time so I could talk to him, and he was so calm about my being on the phone. I even had to put him down for his nap while still listening in. He went nicely and gave me little kisses I didn't probably deserve just then, but loved getting. The call ended minutes later and I so wished he was up so I could snuggle him, but being the trooper he is he was already dreaming. (I'm not so crazy as to wake a sleeping boy). As much as Brent and GW make my work arrangment possible B does too as it probably wouldn't work as well with every kid as it at least currently is with my little trooper.

B is not in a snuggly stage, and I am such a snuggler that I would love some snuggles. This week, however, Brent and I did get to hold him while he slept. He woke up several times in the night Sunday with a 102. 7 fever. He would go back to sleep if one of us held him for a bit. (Ok, I admit, Brent handled most of this). It has been awhile since we were in that place. (No, I'm not envious of those crazy early no sleeping months, but do likethe holding him part). It was really sweet to get to sleep with him again, but sad to wonder how many more times we'll get to cuddle like that as the boy gets older and bigger.

Overall, I'm so glad for the boy he's becoming; a little sad that he is really becoming a big boy and that there are things that keep us from always being fully present when we'd like to be. However, I think all of these are realities for parents and part of the adventure. Hugs and smiles through just a few tears this Love Thursday

4 comments:

thekreativelife said...

Oh this is so true for a lot of us. My little guy just turned two in September and he's such a sweetheart. Mind you he has his moments, too. But overall, he's turning into quite a little helper. Luckily mine is still a snuggler . . . at least SOME of the time.

So enjoyed your post and photo!

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

You are so right in these observations; we suddenly realize that we in a different phase and didn't even notice the passing of the last one. I love it that you are having the opportunity to spend your days with your boy. So much happens every day and I'm glad you are there to share it with him.

Summer said...

What a sweet boy, and a good little helper! It's good for those of us who are a bit behind you to hear that the "crazy" stages do pass. The part about going to Target resonates with me, b/c I feel like I have a ticking time bomb when I go these days. Good to know that part will get better.

And I guess that's how we end up having more and more kids - your last paragraphs about snuggling have me reminiscing about when I could hold K for hours. At the time I think I felt a bit burdened by it (cue guilt) but now I would love to have an afternoon of holding her. Hopefully I will remember to cherish it with the next one (God willing).

Jamie said...

Great post! He is getting to be such a big boy. And what a good helper!?!? So much to look forward to; as John and I are in the can't take my eyes off for one SECOND as if I do - he will end up with another bruise (you guessed it - cue guilt)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...