Saturday, March 14, 2009

Surprisingly Delicious Benefits

In moving to Oklahoma we knew there would be lots of obvious benefits - family, friends, lower cost of living, less flying around, a job Brent actually likes, etc... A surprising benefit I'd forgotten was all the food from my family's farm. Even in winter, we've been enjoying its bounty. Just this week we've had corn on the cob (frozen from this summer) and sausage from my Uncle David's various bartering trades, peaches and tomato sauce from my parent's garden and eggs from my Mom's hens. (As an aside her chickens actually hatched chicks this week! This is only about the second time it has ever worked so a big deal). As we were leaving DC, I'd almost decided to sign up for a share in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). This is like this only better. Much cheaper with only a bit of visiting and sweat equity required and I bet they'd give us some even without that. Weirdly, no beef from my Dad's herd yet, but I'm sure that will come later.

We began helping for next year with some planting activities at my parent's farm last weekend. My mom has been dreaming of B helping her plant for months. The first day, it was far to cold and windy and B had a 102 fever. He sad miserably hot in Brent's arms all day. Sunday was better both for B and the weather. He got to help Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Audra plant some potatoes. (More pictures here) His method is a bit violent as he threw the potatoes forcefully in sort of the general direction of the holes or the people or whatever. Around this time Grandma realized he might still be a little young and sick. I was a bit sick too so mostly watched, but Audra jumped in and helped them plant strawberries, carrots, beets, onions, broccoli, cauliflower and peas (my Grandpa was there on Saturday too to supervise the pea planting and celebrate my birthday which was very fun---he brought me chocolate:)) My mom's garden is well underway with several more rounds to go as the weather warms so I suspect we'll all get our chance. If the sheer number of potatoes is any indication it is going to be a delicious summer!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...