Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Recipe Week! - Jennie's Soup

We'll move on from breakfast to soup:) I love soup and particularly love this one because you make it in a crock pot. The assembly time is pretty much exactly how long M will stay in her swing so it is perfect. Better still it is very low in points (assuming you're using lean turkey sausage and fat free broth). Jennie P. brought this to our book club meeting in September and graciously shared the recipe with all of us. I've made it twice since with minimal tinkering (noted below). It is new to our rotation, but very popular and likely to stay. We had it Monday evening and it is just right for this time of year.

Side note: B LOVES Barley in general so you may want to try it with your little ones too. His favorite is barley cooked in chicken broth and tossed with butter. Very tasty!

Jennie's Sausage and Barley Soup

1 lb Italian Sausage (I use lean turkey sausage, J says it also works fine with any ground meat)
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (48 oz can) chicken broth (or more...) (NOTE: I made it with Beef Broth today as that's what I had and it was great.)
2 large carrots, sliced (NOTE: Or about two handfuls of baby carrots as that's what we have on hand))
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley (NOTE: you can use other grains too. We were low on barley today so I added some slow cooking brown rice. It required slightly more time to feel completely tender).
optional: 1/2 tbs crushed red pepper (NOTE: I use about 1/2 tsp or so to keep it within everyone's tolerance).

1. In skillet cook sausage, onion, garlic and seasonings. Drain.
2. Dump all ingredients in slow cooker
3. Cover and cook 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. You can also cook on stove, but the longer it cooks the better it is...!

*makes a very thick soup. Jennie & I both find we usually add at least another small can of broth.

WW Points: 4 (assuming 7-8 servings)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tracie said...

I made this for dinner tonight! The house smelled wonderful when I came home from work after driving in the drizzle for an hour. It was very tasty :) The flavor reminds me of "Zuppa Toscana" from Olive Garden. The only change I made was I used frozen sliced carrots instead of fresh. Fresh carrots would just go to waste around my house. I also used pork italian sausage since my grocery store didn't carry the turkey italian sausage. Thanks for posting and Thanks to Jennie for sharing - T

Abbey said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I'm enjoying left overs all week myself. It is awesome and I agree somewhat like Zuppa Toscana without the potatoes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...