Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Recipe Week: Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

These used to be my absolute standby thing to take to parties/events/gatherings when we lived in DC.  I haven't made them much since our return, but still keep all the ingredients on hand just in case an opportunity presents itself.  They are so delicious and I think I'll make some once I'm sure we're all past this week's stomach bug.

NOTE: These are "light" in theory and at only 138 calories and 4 g of fat are pretty good on that account, but it does require a small serving size (est. 36 brownies per recipe) and I have trouble sticking with that with this recipe as they are so gooey delicious.

Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
Adapted slightly from The Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Which apparently is now on sale for less than $4).

Ingredients:

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (12 ounce) can of fat free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/4 butter, melted
1 egg white
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1/2 c peanut butter morsels (you can substitute chocolate chips or other types of chips here, but peanut butter is very popular here)
1/2 c. chopped peanuts (optional--- we NEVER add this as Brent is anti-nuts cooked into things and here I actually agree as I want it gooey, not crunchy).

1.  Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a 13x9x2in baking pan with cooking spray.
2.  Mix together the cake mix, 2/3 c. sweetened condensed milk, margarine and egg white.
3.  Pat 2/3 of the resulting batter into the bottom of the prepared pan (the batter will be stiff and sticky-- I sometimes add a tablespoon of water if it just isn't working).
4.  Bake for 10 minutes.
5.  Mix the remaining sweetened condensed milk and the marshmallow creme.  Stir in the peanut butter or chocolate chips. (Maybe even 1/2 of each?)
6.  Carefully spread the mixture evenly over the partially baked brownie layer.
7.  Drop the remaining batter from step 2 by spoonfuls over the marshmallow mixture.
8.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.

Cool completely before cutting.

Note - check on these while baking as the marshmallow bits can get a little too brown if left in too long.

Enjoy!

One a related note, I mentioned being tempted by the white and dark hearted brownies on smitten kitchen.  I have tried the chocolate version thereof and they were delicious.  It did take me a couple more minutes of cooking for them to fully bake through the middle, but this is my ongoing issue with brownies for some reason.  They do use only one bowl though and tasted delicious!

Look forward to a guest post from my Mom's recipe collection as the week continues.  I'm excited to see what she chooses!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...