Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1.  I'm back to working in the evenings. I am sort of wondering if I'm now working in the evenings just because that is what I do in late Sept/early October more than it really being necessary.  I think I could be more efficient during the day and solve some of these problems, but at the moment am just tired.



2. E:  After a weekend of sleeping craziness and excessive crying in the evenings this little guy has started his refulx meds.  This is only day two, but already improvement!  (It could be coincidence, but I'll take it).  Above, he is staying warm with me in the car while M played soccer.  It was just too cold out for this little one so we snuggled and smiled at each other, which was great fun. (Ps I so wish I'd taken a picture of M in all her layers for soccer - it was phenomenal.  I've really got to pick up my camera or phone in those moments!)

3. E spends most of his waking hours focused on his hands.  He stares at them, moves them around and mostly tries to manipulate them into his mouth.  He has also started "discussing" problems like this more.  In the above video he appears to be talking to Brent about his frustrations trying to get his thumb in his mouth. I don't know how to tell him that his strategy here is never going to work.  I do think this guy would love to be a thumb sucker if he could just fully master all the fine motor skills to do so. 

4.  It was shockingly cool here this weekend so we shifted from afternoons outside with friends to cozy time inside together.  Here, they were watching the OU game - which is something we rarely get to do at home.  Granted, Brent had to go to work (on a Saturday) before it was over, but still fun.  

5.  B has just started trying out the websites that his Kindergarten class has subscriptions to.  His teacher suggested this at our recent conference so we've been playing math games and reading through the stories.  I am told she will unlock more difficult books and math for us in these sites to respond to his need for bigger challenges than some of the classroom stories.  The conference went really well and he is doing very well both academically and behaviorly.  We were delighted to hear that he is responding well to any given correction and changing his behavior accordingly (if only this happened here consistently as we're getting MUCH more push back than ever).  Our next focus will be handwriting and fine motor skills, which should be fun?

6.  Grandma B stayed the night with us a few nights.  On the one hand it was awesome to get to talk with her alot in the evenings.  On the other, she was in pain most of the night with her shoulder and poor sleeping arrangements here and E was in his waking up alot with tummy issues phase so I think she had a very tiring time with us.  So sad about that and a bit worried about how being here for four days while I'm gone next week will go.

7.  Ah yes, I'm going to DC on Tuesday.  Since Board prep is a bit less insane this time it is weird to think it is so close... mostly I'm not thinking about not seeing my smiley baby for days and days, let alone his awesome siblings.  Thank goodness the older ones can talk and for the advent of camera phones--- although Brent's is fairly sketchy.  I am also missing M's first mini dance recital which is horrible.  Today as we discussed that she said she would really like it if I could come...salt in the wound.  Grandma is going to get her ready and put her hair up in a bun for me and basically everyone but me will likely get to go... they promise video. 

8.  We have been eating eggs constantly this week.  We got a bit behind on our egg consumption once our weekly egg deliveries began so we've been having boiled eggs, egg sandwiches, omelets and, today, quiche. All the cooking of late ends with me remembering that while I"m quite good at preparing dinner and that side of domesticity I am not so good at the whole keeping the house tidy, clean, and picked up part. I want to blame it on having an infant, and that is part of it, but seriously.... not fun.

9.  There is good news and not so good news on the exercise front.  The good news is that I have gone daily for at least a mile.  The bad news is I have shin splints. I ran on them a few days before being chastised by my brother so now I'm icing, taking my aleve, and  taking slow easy walks for my mile for at least this week, and going a bit farther than a mile to make of for the longer runs I'm missing. Frustrating.

10.  M and I have been full of snuggles, smiles, beautiful clothes, dancing arms, and laughter lately.  She is getting new warmer clothes as she apparently has nothing with long sleeves.  It has been fun finding a few things with her.  We also have discovered that if I dance with her to the bathroom to brush her teeth she is much more amenable to participating.  In general, I'm finding that if I can make the chores, instruction, activity fun and silly rather than a straight request I get a bit further with her.  She even picked up every single one of the colored balls in our backyard today with out protest (I'd guess there are 40?) Major victory.  There is usually two hours between her pick up and when B arrives and while E is here the whole time M and I tend to get a lot of that one on one time I'd feared she'd miss out on, which is awesome.  Tomorrow though, she may have to be here for a portion of the day while I am working and that is going to severely test all these glowing thoughts about slight behavior improvements.... send some positive vibes our way, ok?

So, the kids are on fall break for the next three days with differing child care setups. I  am trying to make it more fun than just going to a different day care.  Any suggestions for fall fun in the hours I'm not working are greatly appreciated!  This also means no soccer this weekend so lots of time for family fun too.  Hooray!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...