Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Ten on Wednesday

Let's see, I wonder how long it has been since I did a Ten on Tuesday post... in any case, I think I'm turning the mental corner back towards crafting, writing, etc... instead of just reading in all spare moments. Only time will tell if as I do tend to shift back and forth.

1.  Yes, I have completed my December Daily--- I documented all the way through January 3rd!  I "may" take pictures of the days from Dec. 22-Jan 3rd... but we shall see. At the moment, I'm happy to close the book on that project. I do like the neat row of December Daily albums and love looking through them with our kids.

2. Swimming- over Christmas break, B was promoted from "Sapphire" to "Ivory."  The good news is he is getting faster and it is a big deal to move up a level. It does mean one extra additional day of practice a week (for a total of five) and, of course, the distances in practice get longer and the time to complete the sets get shorter.  So far, due to weather and holidays we haven't actually had a five days of practice week and I'm guessing it won't happen this week (probable ice storm) or next (his birthday party).  So maybe we'll make it there before the end of the short course season. He does happily still seem to really enjoy it and improved his times in the most recent race.

3. Horses -  riding - this remains M's activity of choice/passion/one true love.  Grandma gifted her with Holly Jolly Horse Camp as her Christmas present and she adored every bit.  She loved mucking out stalls almost as much as riding and was a font of new information each day.  She continues to take lessons for an hour a week and would probably live in the horse barn if that were an option. Her Christmas was filled with lots of horse related items and she spent her Christmas money on even more horse toys.  Obsession! I'm glad that she has found something she loves.

4. E - E does not have any activities per se.  He does really like snuggling me and we emphasized doing that part of every day of break.  He is also pretty fond of his hot wheel cars/tracks and all the newly aquired nerf guns.  Lately, he has persuaded B to read him a book in bed each night, which is tremendously adorable. I love the way our children's relationships are growing of late.  E is VERY tired in the morning as we shift back to school.  We all got pretty used to sleeping in.  I hear he has taken up napping at school, which is good for everyone. He is very sweet and polite right now, which is awesome---- save for when he is not, of course.

5. Brent is heading in to a harder semester.  He has more students in his classes than usual and more sections of his classes/labs than is normal.  Also, this is the spring semester which means he is also trying to plan and set up all the camps for the summer. Usually sometime around March I can feel the stress ratcheting up.  It is not fun.  Maybe this year will be better/easier as they have done it more than once now? It is tricky.

6. My big project for the last six months (off and on) has been helping with my job's search for its next president.  We locked that down last week in a flurry of last minute things.  Now, I'll move to help with the transition along with my normal load.  I did get a big raise and a slightly new title as the year begin, which is awesome.  I'm also doing the Yoga Revolution - 31 days of Yoga series.  I'm about 2 days behind due to our journey to Tulsa over the weekend, but finding it challenging and just the right length for a daily practice.

7.  Disney World - We are going to Disney World for Spring Break.  I'm not quite sure how we're getting there yet, but may actually be driving as the plane tickets are obscene, and hey, we should show the kids more of the country, right? Planning has been a bit more involved than I anticipated, but the kids helped pick out what rides they most wanted to do (and get FastPasses) for yesterday so progress is being made.  It feels a little overwhelming as a new to the Disney universe person, but this is going to be tons of fun, right?

8. Gather - my one little word for 2017 is going to be "Gather." It came to me as I reflected on the many holiday gatherings we had and how much I enjoyed them. It is my element and a strength.  Prior one little words have often been areas that I need to focus work on to improve or change.  This one is about embracing something that is so essentially me.  Looking to 2017, I'm playing to my strengths---gathering hope, courage, bravery, perseverance, people, knowledge, inspiration, challenges, opportunities, new experience and adventures and more.  I've begun by signing up for the Oklahoma Policy Institute's State Budget Summit to try and learn more about the Oklahoma budget I so often rail against.  I'm planning to be much more active this legislative session.  I'm also going to look for ways to gather people to our house as much as possible, and much more.


9.  Tulsa Trip - We flew out the door to Tulsa Friday afternoon on the idea that it might be better to drive on the snow while the sun was up and other people were driving than it would be to leave on hard frozen streets at like 6 am.  B had a swim meet in Tulsa and we had planned a weekend with the Wainrights.  So as soon as I finished the post-president electing debriefs with my colleagues we rushed out the door. We arrived in the middle of a game night with their friends and stayed until almost noon on Sunday.  Chrissie watched our younger kids while Brent and I went to the swim meet with B.  We played games, crafted, watched random shows on Netflix, read, snuggled kids, and then did it all again.  The weekends we spend with them whether at our house or theirs are a great blessing and truly relaxed and wonderful.  I feel so lucky to have their entire family be close to our entire family.  SO amazing. I'm already looking forward to whenever we manage to do it again!

10.  Babies -

Alice - is not yet here.  Kari's due date was earlier this week and we're all anxiously awaiting Alice's arrival.  I am irrationally excited about snuggling our very first niece and about all the fun to come. She will likely arrive by the 17th if not earlier!

Thatcher - My sister is also pregnant and has settled on a name for our sixth nephew.  I have no idea what it will be like to have two family babies again, especially so close in age! I am beyond thrilled that they will get to grow up together and we'll get to be a frequent presence in their lives.  Thatcher is scheduled to arrive in late March/early April so all the cousin fun and snuggling is just beginning!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...