Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Brendan's Room (Take 2)



When we moved to Oklahoma we essentially started over on setting up Brendan's room. It seems a good time to transition from the "baby boy" room in VA to the "little boy" room in OK. We began by asking B's Godfather Erik to paint the room for us. Brent chose an electric, "little boy" blue. It was a bit brighter than I was envisioning, but it has grown on me. We also took the time to re-evaluate what we wanted to use the room for and some re-arranging ensued. For instance, the rocking chair was out, Reading Lounge was in. I also seized the opportunity to do some art/crafty projects as I do need my creative outlet from all the lawyering. You can see the current phase of the results if you scroll to the bottom here. There are also some samples below. I made a big circle collage out of scrapbook paper. We found a cute clock on Etsy that matched our general theme/colors.

(The theme is much looser this time.) In a less obvious change we have a great bin storage system in the closet organized by Aunt Audra. (Thanks!)

At long last I found a frame for the "Land of Make Believe" map we got from the Hoppers and paired it with fairy tale wooden cutouts from my Mom's childhood. We now have pillows, blankets, etc for our Reading Lounge. (I'm looking for a green or yellow floor pillow - have you seen one?) Finally, we're working on a picture hanging space for Brendan and a growth chart. I felt compelled to make the canvas picture holder more interesting with some extra details, of course. Now all I need is to print some more pictures! My Mom is bringing the new curtains she made on Saturday to soften up the space a bit more. Once the pictures are printed all we'll be missing is an activity table. I haven't quite picked one out yet and it may not even go in this room, but let me know if you have suggestions. We particularly want one with a paper roll.

Thanks to all those who contributed, time talent and ideas to this little project of mine. Especially Brent who spent much of the afternoon today hanging things and provided great thoughts as we went along. This included reminding me as I chose papers that it is a little boy's room and to include "kid" things. This is key as I need to be reminded that B is less about swirls and light colors than I am and more about cars, trains and planes just now. Overall, I really like it. The room is not super coordinated, but there is a general connection between the pieces and areas. I like that I made some of it and that it is uniquely his. I know there will be more iterations, but for now it makes me happy and hopefully makes B happy too.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE IT! I love the idea of the reading lounge! I will keep my eye out for a green or yellow floor pillow down here. Any specific theme for the growth chart?(PS - Aunt Audra - I saw that closet and I am copying you)

Abbey said...

I got the growth chart at Cinnamon Bears. It is also the planes/trains/cars theme that you'll see here and there in other places (like some of the papers, the clock, etc). We're sort of getting a late start on the growth chart, but just filled in earlier heights. Glad you like it!

Anonymous said...

The key to the organized closet is that there are pictures and words to label each container. I am putting the words on when I come down in October.

Jamie said...

Aunt Audra - are you for hire? :)

Anonymous said...

Sure! I love to orginize!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...