Wednesday, December 3, 2008

B's Favorite Toy - Cars

Miss me? I took a bit of a break and needed to focus on work as I took a complete break from that over the Holiday weekend which is very unusual for me, but good for my mental health. Today, however, I'm in a work related funk. Just had a rough day today. Nothing horrible, things just didn't seem to click began to doubt myself a bit which is no good when judgment is key to my work. Oh well, so I'm taking a break again from GW this evening. Drexel probably needs some tending, but decided I needed to bake some chocolate chip banana bread first. Then, I saw this interesting contest to write about a favorite toy. It got me thinking about B and what he enjoys now and it occurred to me that I should write about it so we can remember it later. So, my students will just have to wait for my "wise commentary" on the impact of Sarbanes Oxley on higher education just a bit longer... my apologies should any of them stumble across this somehow.

B LOVES cars. He isn't that into paying with toys generally, but vehicles are a different story. He has a small space shuttle, bi-wing plane, bus, tow trucks, small cars, medium cars, ones that make noise, some that you pull back and they zoom forward, plastic, metal and wooden ones. He has larger vehicles like a CAT dump truck to push around and his little wooden red radio flyer tiny trike from Tracie (a first birthday present he has loved all year, but is now out growing, so sad). There are really probably around 10-15 total nearly all of which are gifts. Hard to believe that these pictures are nearly a year old! The time has flown, but he likes the cars more than ever.

Of all of these though, he seems to take the greatest joy in just your basic simple car. He drives them around his room, over his parents and around the house. When I clean up, I find ones here and there in unexpected places. To, I'm sure, Aunt Audra's great delight he loves to line them up (often on Daddy's chest). He knows just where they go in his closet and will put them all in the proper bin when it is time for "night, night." I don't know that there is one particular car that is his favorite. He does like driving the dump truck around, but it is larger and better for pushing all over the house. There is this purple car that came filled with candy so its hood opens. I sent it to Brent in a care package for Easter when he was living alone in Bethesda and we were engaged. Surprisingly, we still have it and he oddly, he seems to like that one maybe just a bit more than the other small cars. In any case, ours is definitely a little boy house just now strewn with cars and we love it.

Happy thoughts! What were your favorite toys? I think I tended towards books, but did love my doll Suzy Sally and her adorable crib (made by my dad). Oh, and my parents also made this awesome doll house with wall paper that matched our real house. I definitely loved stuffed animals and slept with one for much longer than I'd like to admit. I'm such a girl:)

4 comments:

Louisa Claire said...

Hi Abbey,
Thanks for the link to your post. Unfortunately entries have now closed and voting has begun for the winner. I hope you enjoyed thinking about something fun!

I will be hosting another competition and giveaway tomorrow and then a few more next week. There are still some great prizes so keep checking in on the blog and you'll see when the next one's up & hopefully win something!

Thanks! Louisa

Abbey said...

No worries, I grasped the timing issues, but wanted to share anyway.

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

Yes, you loved books but you didn't really care for dolls at all; that was Audra's favorite. You also liked that rolly ball that made music when it moved. You are right in thinking the big favorite was stuffed bears; every Christmas for many many years. Thanks for sending me back to the memories.

r said...

On every Christmas list that I can remember, I asked for two things: a horse, and a computer. I'm not sure what good a computer (or a horse, for that matter) would have done me back then, but I was convinced that my dad played Wheel of Fortune and Tetris all day long, so I really needed a computer to have the skills for that kind of job. Or something.

I do remember my parents getting us all kinds of fun things, bikes and hula hoops and tennis rackets. They were always pretty imaginative about gifts. I also had a large collection of stuffed animals, many of which I actually still have. Tigger endured many admissions into the stuffed animal ICU getting stitches, but I still have him after all this time.

Oh, I do remember one thing I played with when I was about Timothy and B's age...an airport set with a big airplane and little people. I have very distinct memories of playing with that while in diapers, so it must have made an impression!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...