Monday, January 12, 2009

Part VI - The Sickness / New Year's

In sad news, we apparently all caught the flu at the Christmas Tea. Brent & Audra showed the first signs on Monday and it worked its way through my Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Grandpa, Husband, Son, and Self, possibly other Christmas Tea attendees, but I'm not sure. Brent & Audra recovered first and helped take care of B on Tuesday as I was completely incapacitated. While most people were fine in a day (or just hours for B). It took me maybe 3-4 days to be functional again. (I'm blaming the pregnancy, but who knows). I thought I was better on Wednesday and we headed to the farm for New Year's Eve. I did OK that day and was able to get some work done, but also enjoy the festivities.

B slept through most of the evening merriment, but did get to play outside with Audra and Grandma B during the day. He is obsessed with the tractors and pickups and enjoys sliding down hay bales. He even is grudgingly a bit more interested in Grandma's chickens. I, meanwhile, felt compelled to prune my parents' apple tree for some reason, and hope I did OK. Brent arrived for dinner and the even fun.

Our welcome to the new year was pretty low key as everyone was in recovery mode, but we did play some fun games, drink sparkling grape juice, burn our regrets, "run" around the house, make noise and put on silly masks. We brought in the new year in both east coast and central time zones. Here in OK, the ball actually rises which is kind of weird, but works.

That was all Wednesday. On Thursday, I woke up feeling like death all over again. I ate about three crackers and went back to sleep and was finally coaxed up for the Rose Bowl parade. We had planned to drive back that day, but I was in too rough a condition so we stayed and B got to play more with everyone while I climbed back uphill. Turned out that eating helped and I did start improving again.

Friday we came back to Edmond and bid Aunt Audra farewell for her journey home. We tried to reclaim our house a bit and had a fabulous visit from Mary. Who graciously asked me to be a bridesmaid at her wedding. I was so honored and am very excited. (In craziness, I'll be just a month post-partum, but really want to stand with her as she takes this big step!)

It was a good close to our new year welcome events and by Friday things were full of the hope of new babies, new marriages and the wonder of a year to come!


Erin said...

Heh...the reason I didn't try to see you when I was in Oklahoma was because I had that exact stomach horribleness and didn't want to give it to you and yours! I came down with it on the drive from Utah to Oklahoma, and we had to stop in a town in Colorado so I could recuperate (okay, so I could stop having to take a scenic restroom tour of every 24-hour gas station). I'm so sad that you got it anyway.

Summer said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear you guys were sick! That is no fun in a normal situation, I can't imagine being pregnant on top of it. I'm glad you are feeling better and hopefully that's the last sickness you will have this 9 mo!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...