Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Garden Journal: Week 1

On Wednesday, the rain had passed for the moment and it was a beautiful morning so B and I ventured out to check on our garden.  We are happy to report that the rains left it well watered.  Two of the bulb onions appear to have sprouted already which was a nice surprise.  The rains did appear to have washed away the thin layer of soil over some of the seeds, particularly the carrots.  B and I pondered what to do and decided to spread a thin layer of potting soil on top (it was more dry and scoopable in a thin layer than anything else we had).  So, we took turns spreading a layer over the various areas where seeds were showing. I suspect that potting soil is not a great choice for growing root vegetables.  However, it is less than 1/4 of an inch deep and probably a lot better than the alternative which would be them not growing.  We considered it a success and headed in to prepare for MDO.

Later in the afternoon while preparing for a surprise dinner party with the Whites (more on this to come) I harvested the first fruits of our kitchen garden.  I took four small sage leaves from the plant we had purchased to add to our chicken for roasting.  Granted, we didn't exactly grow these ourselves as they came with the plant, but it was nice to feel like our garden was already at work for us.

On Saturday, we checked again, watered, and found a bit of progress.  I'm fascinated to see what will have changed by the time we return from Vegas!


(NOTE: this was supposed to have been posted before I left for Vegas. Clearly, I am now back and will post the week two tidbits soon.  My dad warns me there may be snow coming which would be sad. Anyway, enjoy)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...