Monday, March 8, 2010

In the Garden - Part II

After an amazingly busy and productive Saturday, Brent and I were expecting it would be awhile before Garden Phase II.  I had cautiously read the follow-up Pioneer Woman posting on dirt and loosely discussed with my parents them bringing some or maybe getting some from some sort of a garden/landscape company.  Lucky for me my parents kept things moving right along and started in on the dirt project the very next day.  While we celebrated Marilyn's birthday (Happy Birthday!) with a delicious brunch my parents loaded up a bed full of what they promise is the most amazing dirt ever to start filling our bed. This dirt is fully mixed with all sorts of organic matter, a little clay, some charred wood, a little sandiness, and even worms!  Even a soil amateur like myself can tell that it is very very lovely dirt compared to what I usually see in Oklahoma (for those not familiar much of Oklahoma's dirt is actually red, if you can imagine).

With not much notice we couldn't round up much help so Brent, my Dad and I unloaded the pick-up and spread the mix around in the left half of the raised bed.  My Mom watched Maggie and finished up the cookies I'd made as an enticement for those laboring away.  It surprisingly didn't really take that long with many hands and I was amazed to have half of my bed full of spectacular dirt.  Again, I was ready to call it good, but my Dad wanted to try for a Dad/Daughter trip to TLC so we raced through quickly gathering some seeds and plants that could go in now before the shop closed. He assured me that our final frost is likely past and that the following would be good to plant now before the week of rain we are anticipating  Our final tally was:

Onions - bulbs and sets
Garlic
Carrots - two varieties
Radishes - white  (We don't really like radishes, but they are apparently good for the carrots)
Beets - Denver variety
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Mixed Lettuces - five different varieties in one packet
Chives
Sage - plant
Oregano - plant
Thyme - plant

New silicone gardening gloves for me ($10) and a total cost of less than $40.

When we arrived home we were delighted to discover that B was awake and playing Mario Kart Wii with Grandma B.  Both of them joined in the ensuing planting fun.  B took charge of poking the garlic into holes in the very back while Grandma B and I focused on the herbs, spinach and lettuce up front.  I have vague hopes of creating a map at some point or at least some cuter labeling sticks, but for now we made do with popsicle sticks and various other markers.

B and my Dad continued on with carrots, radishes and beets while my Mom and I planted four rows of onions in the middle of the bed.  We finished up with chard and more onions here and there.  Happily, there is plenty of room for the taller flowers I hope to plant near the back and perhaps a bit more room in the middle as well.  We also have the entire second half to plant when the remainder of the dirt arrives.  It will largely be squash for me and some strawberries for everyone.  I've also promised my MIL one tomato plant so that will go in as well.

Had you told me on Friday that this all would have taken place I would never have believed you.  I am still so amazed and delighted.  I loved watching B plant things and how much joy, care and patience he had with the project.  Sure, a few garlic cloves may have ended up upside down, but I'm pretty sure we'll have WAY more than enough to make do.  This was a great project and I'm so glad my whole family and my parents got to share it.  M even got in on the action briefly as she and Daddy supervised the planting as dusk approached on day two.  Below is a much shorter slideshow of the action on Sunday for your viewing enjoyment.


3 comments:

Audra said...

You planted radishes that is fantastic because now you can use those radish stickers I got you for your birthday.

Jennifer said...

I'm insanely jealous;)!! Looks great now, and I'm sure it will only get better as the little sprouts start pushing through.

Abbey said...

I did think of you Audra when we picked out the radishes:) Thanks Jennifer! I'll send along progress updates so you can all enjoy vicariously!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...