Monday, April 5, 2010

In Memoriam: Robert Milacek

You know how there is always that one teacher, mentor, friend that touches your life and thereafter you remain forever different and better?  For me, that person was Robert Milacek who sadly passed away this week.  He challenged me intellectually and listened to my early political arguments.  I was a nerdy junior high student and he was teaching us various social studies classes.  The lessons were so much more real coming from someone who had been a state legislator.   I would go in to see him before school periodically and discuss the politics of the day.  Our most spirited discussions inevitably revolved around the annual State of the Union address.  Mr. Milacek and I did not share the same political views.  He worked hard to convince me of his position and, for the first time, I was arguing just as fervently back to an adult my opposing position. I probably should have accepted right about then that I was going to be a lawyer, but at the time, I just enjoyed the game.  

Somewhere in there I did find the beginnings of my path.  Until this point in school, I had no particular leanings as far as college and career.  Afterwards, I was a political junkie (granted a teenage one).  He retired at the end of my sophomore year at OBA and I stopped by Pioneer early on his last day say farewell. I remember being so sad that those discussions were at an end.  I did continue to learn from him though.  I worked on his campaign for State Senate during my junior year.  He even let me have my own precincts and attend campaign meetings.  I supported his candidacy even though we had opposing viewpoints because I believed he was the best person for the job regardless.  I remember vividly the election watch party where he won his seat.  He never lost an election and served two terms in the State Senate to match the three he had served earlier in the House.

He spoke at my high school graduation and part of his speech was about what Oklahoma had to offer its best and brightest now.  He was right, and my OU education was a great foundation for me even though I could easily have gone to more highly ranked schools.  From OU, I spent time working in the U.S. Senate and various parts of the Executive branch.  Somewhere along the way, my interest in being in the middle of politics waned, but my love of civic engagement, current events and governance remained.  It is probably too much to say those early chats lead me to the place I am now, but they definitely contributed. I know my path would likely have been much different otherwise.

 I had the opportunity to visit him a couple years ago with my husband and B.  I tried one more time to say thanks and let him know what all that had meant for me.  I hope I got that message across.  He was a wonderful man, mentor, and friend.  I know my life and my community are better for it.  I will miss him.  So, today Maggie, Dad and I went to his funeral Mass and said our good-byes surrounded by so many others that loved him.  I'm glad I was able to do that and want to record this memory here so we never forget the difference he made.  Thank you and farewell Mr. Milacek.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...