Thursday, September 16, 2010

Me: The Abridged Version

I really enjoyed the BPS classes I have taken the last two months, but had decided to not take any classes from anywhere for September and to just create.  Today, I noticed again Cathy Zielske's "Me: The Abridged Version"  via Big Picture Scrapbooking.  I have heard about this class for months, perhaps years even.  I never was that interested as there are always so many stories I want to tell other than my own.  However, with my Dad's death fresh in my mind it suddenly seems so important to tell my story.  I want my kids to know me.  I want them to know the little things, random details.  I always assume I have years to tell my story, but what if I don't?  One of the take-aways of this situation is how sadly short life can be and how much those left behind treasure the memories.  The class starts today and for the next four weeks I am going to take this slightly new path in my memory keeping.  I will try the digi aspects Cathy uses.  I will use a different sized album.  I will focus on a rare subject in recording our story: Me.  I will let you know what I discover and share bits as we move along.  At the end, for all of you and for me there will be a book with a bit more of my story as it exists right now.

 I encourage everyone to take a moment to record even just one story of yours as I know you and your family will treasure it for years to come.  Even the very simple pages I'd made about my Dad this summer were suddenly so wonderful to have in this difficult week.  I was able to bring them to the funeral home and share those with people that loved him. You can tell your story any way that suits you, but I encourage you to give it a try even if it is a simple bulleted list.  If you don't want to tell your story today, tell me one about my Dad.  I am collecting them like so many tiny treasures.



(Side Note: The inspiration Cathy cited for this class is Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.  I've just started reviewing it and it is a fascinating idea.  She essentially tries to capture first the moment in history that she is writing from and then moves through the alphabet with tidbits about herself and observations about life. It could serve as good inspiration if you are having trouble thinking of stories to tell).

1 comment:

geriayers said...

I so enjoyed your story pages when I was at the funeral home. What a beautiful thing it was to see your dad and son together in the fields, on the floor reading, etc. Your pictures told the story so much more beautifully than any words could have said. You must know that I have a special place in my heart for your father, Dear Danny! I shall never forget his the way he would cradle my head as he gave me a hug on difficult occasions. I shall never forget his hearty laughter as it resounded throughout the room. I shall never forget the loyal friendship he extended to me as we taught in the same building and later as I moved to another school. I shall never forget your father! I am a better person for having known Danny.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...