Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb10: Beautifully Different & Community

NOTE:  I'm a day behind on Reverb10 & December Daily, in part, because I was a passenger in a small auto accident following a FABULOUS concert.  I am fine, just a late night and a bit sore.  I'll be back on track shortly.


December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)
I had thoughts about writing about my career path, but it is a pretty convoluted one and maybe not the best fit.  I will write about it soon, but for this I'm going with something more obvious.  When I read the prompt to my long time best friend (seriously, we met more than 25 years ago and have been friends the whole time).  Her immediate reaction was -- your eyes, right? Or your dimple? I think the eyes are probably the most noticeably different and beautiful of my physical features.  
My eyes, when I'm rested,are  light, bright, intense blue-- striking, I'm told by so many.  The cool thing about it is that while they are unusual or different in the general population, they are relatively common in my family.  My Grandmother, had the exact same eyes and some of my Uncles have very similar ones.  In my house though, I'm the only one with blue eyes.  My husband has lovely, melty, chocolate eyes that it appears lady M is inheriting.  B has eyes that are a bit more green/hazel brown.   I am told my Grandpa Blakley had somewhat similar eyes which is lovely too.  
Here, incidentally, is a close up accidentally taken this week while playing with my son.  I have better ones, but this give you a general idea. 
December 9 – Party Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Author: Shauna Reid)
We held monthly (or almost monthly) Wii/Crop parties this year.  The idea was to combine my husband and my favorite hobbies - video games (him) and scrapbooking (me).  We invite over friends and make a main dish while others contribute sides and happiness.  My favorite party this year was one of these.  In October, I believe, we had a relatively small gathering.  I made two kinds of soup - Chicken Posole and Creamy Potato Chowder.  The sounds were primarily those of Wii soccer, kids laughing and people talking with occasional sounds of my Silhouette as I cut out letters for my "The Encyclopedia of Me" project. The dress was casual.  Everyone comes as they are and brings what they like.  Sometimes we mostly eat and chase kids, but at this particular party we actually did plenty of crafting and a bit less kid wrangling.  
I went to some glamorous DC parties, some adorable kids parties, including my daughter's very first, as well as her beautiful baptism party and more, but oddly this very ordinary party was my favorite.  Perhaps for the very reason that it was low stress and full of things and people I love.

1 comment:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

I think that is the most beautiful shot of your eyes I have ever seen. Wow. They look as if there is light shining from behind them. I hope you have a child someday who has your beautiful eyes. Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...