Friday, December 3, 2010

Reverb10: Moment

NOTE: I am going to unbundle my December Daily and Reverb10 Postings as they are too lengthy together and may have different audiences.  You can find today's December Daily Cookie story here.

December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

I find myself again struggling with the prompt and maybe that is the very idea of these prompts.  Ali is an inspiration to me and full of great ideas.  I very much want to record and talk about memories just like this, but when I look back over the year I'm having a hard time with one big alive moment.  There are dozens I treasure, but nothing like the birth of a child as my sister described.  I am tempted to write the predictable moment of true life when I'm rolling around in the fragrant summer grass of our back yard surrounded by the laughter of my children, the love of my husband, the calm of everyday life that is so truly us.  I feel like you know that story though and I am continually document it so today, something a bit different that is me on my own-- a new moment of fun this year.

This year, I discovered a new passion: Zumba.  Zumba is a latin-dance inspired exercise program.  It is, to me, a perfect fit.  Part of this is the very slogan -- "Ditch the Workout, Join the Party."  I love to dance and I want to be more healthful.  I do not, however, like repetitive classes or hours on treadmills. The Zumba moment for me is much like this Zumba Afterglow Video

We enter the class mostly a bunch of moms in their 20s-50s.  There are, rarely, men -- usually with a spouse.  We line up in uneven rows.  No one says we have to and it would work not in a row, but we just do.  For me, and many others, there is a sense of tension.  The tension of the small children you just left in childcare, the tension of complicated high pressure jobs, the tension of uncertainty with these almost strangers, the uncertainty of relaxing into the class.  The start of class faces tend to more austere, serious.  The clothes are a wild mix.  There is always the one woman in the adorable workout skirts twirling away.  There are many in old college t-shirts and almost sweats.  There are plenty in between.  Some sport zumba-wear and much of the clothing is for fitting among the "regulars." 

People drift in and the music begins.  There is little to no talking during the songs as instructors lead by occasional signaling, but rarely vocal signaling.  We are following their steps and following the music.  The music increases in tempo as the class proceeds and switches between genres, languages, patterns and degrees of familiarity.  Each class, each instructor is different so everyone is always learning.  Particularly in early classes the choreography is complicated enough that you have to stop thinking about all those other worries that you brought in the door and just focus to keep up.  Suddenly, you realize you are having fun.  Your body moves and sways to the music and you suddenly don't care that you probably look totally ridiculous in your mom-wear and ponytail hair attempting these moves.  You don't care because you are having fun, your body feels good, you are surrounded by others that probably look silly too, but are also loving the moment of shared adventure and energy.  People in the gym stop and stare.  People in the class smile and dance. The class begins to wrap up with the only common series which is a cool-down stretch pattern almost every instructor uses.  The music changes from upbeat to flowing.

By the end of the class, just like the girls in the video, we are a bit happier, a bit more relaxed, more ready to face the rest of the day and our bodies are better too.  It is a huge attitude adjustment for me.  People in the class suddenly feel a bit closer and there is a great bond between those that go often. At the end of the class, I'm hot and sweaty, still moving to the music in my head, but ready to face the next challenge.  It is addictive.  I miss it. 

For 25 days, I've been healing from my costochondritis.  It has therefore been nearly 28 days since my last class.... 28 days of frustration and looking back probably not as good of an attitude and way more sluggishness.  I need to go back and my body says it is almost time, almost.  I'm so ready to find that moment again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...