Monday, December 27, 2010

Reverb10: New Name

Editor's Note:  My kids are sick and I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours covered in vomit, cleaning it up or snuggling.  I hope to return to finish up December Daily and more of the Reverb prompts tomorrow or the next day along with a cool craft tutorial in the works.  Here's hoping you and yours had a wonderful Christmas and are feeling a bit better than me and mine.


December 23 – New Name Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author: Becca Wilcott) 


Violette Jewel - Violette has long been an alter ego of mine.  This is my Grandma Blakley's first name, but I've developed an association with it much outside of her story, although she was my introduction to it.  My own middle name is Violet, but Violette seems so elegant and French to me.  I have images of elegant perfume bottles, sweet little flowers and delicate lacy dresses.  (These are not things I identify with my Grandmother, but the word on its own).  We came perilously close to naming M Violette, but it truly did not seem to be her name once she was born.   I do love the name and have used it in French classes and as an online screen name periodically for years. 


 Jewel is my Grandma Dotter's middle name and has grown on me more and since her death.  I'm not really sure I was that aware of it when she alive, but I remember thinking about it on her funeral program and often since.  It is our own Maggie's middle name as well.  It is so beautiful to me with connotations of family, sparkle and treasure all in one.   I do love my given name, but my alter ego for a day would be hiding in this lovely family centric, elegant, French lady.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...