Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lucky Girls and Those Not So Lucky

Maggie and I are lucky girls.  We are surrounded by people that love us, pretty things, toys, good food and love.  We get to have great educations and health care.  We get to do anything we dream we can do.  I was able to go from a very rural upbringing, to studying in France and becoming a DC lawyer, complete with fancy east coast graduate degrees.  Truly, I've been able to pursue whatever I dreamed with no barrier based on gender.

 We live in a country where we can get the health care we need and I know when we're sick there is someone there to take care of us.  I don't have to worry about having enough to eat or a warm bed.  I get to telecommute and pursue a happy, beautiful creative hobby.  Maggie gets to dress in silly frilly clothes and I then get to scrapbook my happy memories of watching her just being her, just being beautiful.

Not all girls, or all people, are so lucky.  I was inspired by Shimelle's post today to share these layouts and encourage you to take a moment to do something to help those girls that are not as lucky as Maggie and I.  Whether you choose the charity Shimelle is promoting or one in your own community, just take a moment to think about it and see if maybe there is some what you can help those girls, boys, families, communities that are not so lucky just now.

Check out Shimelle's post for information on the Because I am a Girl Campaign or consider donations to the Red Cross to help with the recent tornadoes, tsunamis, or ongoing poverty.  I suspect you might have a few dollars around, because most of you reading are so lucky too and if you're not, let us know and maybe we can help you somehow?  Wanna help a rural kid with their education? Consider that link on the left to donate to my family's Danny Blakley Pioneer Scholarship Fund.  The options are endless, I'm just asking you to think about it for a couple minutes.  Let's help, support, and love each other because even though we may be physically far a part we are a community and here to help each other.  Thanks for the love.



P.S. I chose to support her cause by signing up for Journal Your Christmas, so come December I'll be sharing some of the love here as I play along... because December Daily Posting was not keeping us busy, right?   The cool part of this class is that you sign up once and get ongoing access every year (both backwards and forward looking.  Yippee!! And double cool today as all my money is going to support the Because I am a Girl Campaign).

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

What a fun girlie page! Love your banners.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...