Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 16: Crazies

Today, we took on too much.  Don't get me wrong, we didn't have that many choices in the matter.  All four of our school/work parties happened to be scheduled for today. (We only attended three as mine was half a continent away). The day started with Zumba at 8am which meant getting all four of us dressed and fed by 7:40, all the kids stuff for their Christmas parties, day at school, presents for teachers, cups, etc... in the car before then.  Yes, I really like to get my exercise in on a day that will be filled with cookies, but this might have been crazy thing #1.  So after doing Zumba with the regulars plus about a dozen 8 year olds on winter break (Crazy experience #2), I took the kids to school.

I "thought" we had everything on the first pass, but of course forgot both the pizza money and M's cup in the car so I had to make another trip.  Finally, got everyone and everything dropped off. (Crazy times #3). This included these awesome teacher gifts (totes from Lands End I found very much on sale and were actually awesome to distribute too as I could carry them and their caramel corn goodness easily in).

Then work! This actually wasn’t crazy, but you’d hope not, as lawyering really should not be crazy.   I did stop slightly early to make cookies for my husband's party as I just couldn't face reviewing agreements while my entire office was at the holiday party, singing karaoke in the atrium of our large office building (Yes, I do kind of think public office building karaoke is crazy, but we can't count that as I didn't participate).

Of course Crazy #4 was trying to pick up both kids and all their leftover treats, goody bags, art projects, jackets, etc... while they tried to say good-bye and tell me everything at once.  Yes, we did have to go all the way back down the long hall to M's classroom when we realized as we reached the exit that we didn't have her jacket. (Meanwhile her hair was going all directions in its post-nap glory -- yes, she looked a bit like a raga muffin so I'm calling it Crazy #5).  Then we moved on to trying to get everything inside, everyone calm, every piece of art, candy, and present examined without destroying them and without fights breaking out over candy canes. (Crazy #6)  Thankfully, a miracle present from Grandma arrived with an awesome new Little Einstein's show for M and Kirby game for B.  They were overjoyed and all the crazy subsided into the distance with some quiet time. As B played M and I got to do our hair, make-up, put our pretty dresses on and play with her babies.  It was all very sweet.  I relaxed thinking Brent was home, we were together, and calm would prevail.

Little did I know that Crazy had one more trick up its sleep (#7) and this time I actually mean wild, unusual, bouncy, wired, weird, unruly kids (ok, overselling maybe, but still).  We took our kids to Brent's work holiday party. It was at a place they had been three or four times before with people they've seen fairly often, eating normal foods for them. So yes, we weren't expecting a problem.  And yet.... just craziness, not my kids at all.  Last week, B sat at a wedding reception calmly for 3 hours with nary another child to play with and almost nothing to do.  Today, they apparently could not sit still for 3 minutes and seemed unable to stop bouncing in a house not at all suited for bouncing and with way too many people (and zero other kids under 10).  So.... yeah, we left early and pondered where our normally mindful, fairly well-behaved children went.  I suspect it was way too much sugar, stimulation, and partying for small people's system, but sheesh.

Luckily, there was calm at the end of the day, right where I expected it.

Left page 8x8
Brent and I in the quiet of children gone to sleep.  The end of all the crazy, my happy place where we recharge to face tomorrow together.

Right Page - Journaling from above - (AC Tape, Jenni Bowlin Bow, Jillibean Soup Star, Studio Calico numbers, Pebbles button, Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distres Ink).







1 comment:

Heather said...

This pic of you two in front of the tree is so touching!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...