Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 15: Sensational Season

I was pondering what part of our Christmas experience to capture today.  It was a busy, muddled day with lots going on.  It was one of those days where I have no clue how families with both parents working full time ever get it all done and stay sane.  (It is possible they don't decide the need to make caramel corn for everyone at the last minute... that would be more rational).  Anyway, as I pondered the day while making my caramel corn, I realized that one of the things I love about Christmas is that it is a full sensory experience.

Senses of the Season 


Sight:  Following up on yesterday's wish list fun, today each kid got an email from Santa via Portable North Pole.  They seemed to enjoy it and each watch their individualized video twice.  I'm not sure M understood that Santa couldn't hear her as she waived and talked, but oh so cute.  Some of the other sights today included Christmas lights, cards, presents, decorations, craft projects, Christmas trees, and Advent calendars.


Sound:  While driving to the post office for stamps today, we sang Christmas carols and wintry songs in the car (and quickly learned that I really don't know the words to Frosty the Snowman).  At home, we listened to the Pandora Christmas station for the rest of the day.  I loved hearing all the classics as we worked on our holiday projects.


Smell:  Sadly, our house doesn't smell like Christmas trees of our youth, as we have a fake tree.  However, it does smell deliciously like caramel today after making a double batch of caramel corn for the kids' teachers.


Touch:  There are so many things to touch and experience at Christmas.  Right now, the favorites seem to be the Christmas tree, ornaments, and the goodies from their advent calendar.


Taste:  For the last two weeks it seems we've been making Christmas treats for our family or as gifts all the time.  This week, Mexican wedding cookies and snack mix for my office party, caramel corn for the kids' teachers, and tomorrow will feature some sort of cookies for Brent's office party in the evening.  Of course, there was also all the cookie baking for the party earlier in the month as well. 
Left Page - Journaling from above (Tags: Ormolu, SEI, Pin, Maya, Stickers - OA,  Tape - AC, PP - MME Lost & Found Christmas)


Right Page - 8x8 - (Cardstock, Brown Sugare twine, Mister Huey in Estate Green, inked with Vintage Photo Distressed ink)

  I like that this paper came textured with snowflakes which I like to create some "feel" of Christmas; I added a homemade Caramel Corn recipe Card for some smell/flavor memories. 


Kids watching PNP Santa video - 3x5

I didn't end up with any truly awesome pictures today, but. I plan to use this one and the recipe above.

Photo Note:  I messed with my camera settings a lot on the trip to Saint Louis and it has been wonky since then.  I cleaned the lens and  reset everything today and played with the white balance, ISO and f-stop and "think" I may have worked out some of the issues.

Tomorrow will definitely be all about Christmas parties, but may be tricky to capture visually as I won't be at the kids' parties so we'll see what we can figure out.  

1 comment:

Raylene said...

OMG! You are so clever! I would NEVER have thought to include a sensory list of Christmas activities! I'm very impressed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...