Friday, June 29, 2012

Five on Friday: E's Books

We have a rather, ahem, large collection of children's books.  We go to the library to borrow more roughly every two weeks as well.  That said, I sort of think it is impossible to have too many.  So, when I was making our Amazon Baby Registry I added more books to compliment our collection.  I focused on Dr. Seuss books we were missing, some old favorites from Reading Rainbow, and more Caldecott & Newberry award winners.  We have been lucky enough to get some of these books as well as a few others that friends selected from their own favorites (which I love).  So far, here is what I can recall of E's book collection. (If you sent others and they've already been commingled into the larger group, let me know and I'll mark them so we can remember)

1. Chester - This is an adorable book that features a back and forth between the author and her cat Chester who keeps trying to take over and make the book be about him rather than the mouse story she set out to write.

2. Stone Soup  - This is a classic story and Caldecott winning book that I think is based off of a folk tale.  I remember it from Reading Rainbow long ago and find the hidden lesson about community compelling.


3. If I Ran the Zoo  - We had recently borrowed this from the library as it was missing from our Dr. Seuss collection.  It is reminiscent of If I Ran the Circus , which is a long time favorite.  The little boy imagines how fantastic the Zoo would be if he were in charge and filled it with amazing creatures from all over.  Lots of fun and imagination.


4. Harold and the Purple Crayon  I know,shocking isn't it that this wasn't already in our collection? It is a book I've seen and heard about frequently, but didn't remember reading.  So far, it is a great hit with the older kids and I suspect E will love it too.

5.First 100 Words  - There is some debate about if this was given to M or E by Aunt Jamie, but in any case, it is a big board book full of simple pictures and words. The kids have used it a full time, but it will be best when E is learning to talk or when a child is learning to read basic words.

What children's books would you recommend adding to our library?

Thanks to the Douglas, Jones, Moran, and Vo families for these sweet gifts!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

The First 100 Words book was given to E, but as I am learning now with Matthew and John, it is a great book that big brother can "teach" little brother. They have it out every single day, literally every single day. To the point that John's copy ripped this week and John took money from his piggy bank to go buy Matthew a new copy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...