Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Step 2: Information Day

Back in March, we took step one of our foray into the public schools with Kindergarten registration day. Today was the next step, aka "information day", which apparently we'll get to enjoy every year. 


We loaded up the van with the entire family and a huge back of school  supplies and began the search for somewhere to park in a lot overflowing with other families.  On the way in, B told me that his mouth and his tummy were saying that he was shy, but that he isn't.  First, we had to prove our residency (again) with an electric bill, then we were assigned a teacher we'll call Ms. S. We met her, he introduced himself happily, and the boys off loaded all the school supplies while M and I filled out yet more paperwork.  Then, we talked through drop off/pick up and sign up sheets. 

I began signing up for things and tried to restrain myself.  You see, I spent most of college doing community service and volunteering for 100s of hours of community service each semester on sign up sheet after sign up sheet.  I don't have that kind of time now, but am still very tempted by sign up sheets.  I kept repeating -- you have a job and three kids...I tried to limit myself to two class room activities and two school wide ones... we'll see.  In theory, I'm signed up for the "winter" party and something like kinderfest as well as agreeing to submit pictures of said events to the yearbook and helping set up/take down the book fair... too much? There were of course many other things we signed up for like snacks, designating drop off people, birthday party lists, etc...  

In the lunch room, we did some of the school-wide sign ups, learned about bus routes, paid for a year's worth of lunch (ouch! - not mandatory, but efficient?)  Then, time to buy t-shirts, popcorn for spirit days, and school directories from the PTO.  So, $450 later, we left.  I do really like the school shirts this year that B is wearing in these photos.   The back reads --- "Learning is my SUPERPOWER.  What's yours?"  Love it.  

Step 3 is coming on Friday when we drop him off and stay for story time on the first day.  We're told his class currently is approaching 24, with at least 14 boys and a set of twin girls.  Sounds like fun?  
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

Anytime the number of kids in a kindergarten class passes the number 20 it ceases to sound like fun to me....but, what do I know. That meet the teacher night is very costly everywhere. Helping set up the Book Fair may be something you want to drop later on. Having been there, let me say that it is chaotic and takes quite awhile. You didn't volunteer to work at the fair did you??? Good heavens I hope not. I should have had a pre-information night prep session with you instead of letting you go in cold. Ha Ha

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

P.S. I simply love that phrase, "My mouth and my tummy are saying I'm shy, but I'm not." Doesn't that just tug on your heartstrings. New things, people, places and the whole thing are so scary sometimes that it does make our tummys say we are shy. I know the feeling. Sending my love, a big smile and virtual hugs in his direction as he takes these first steps. His teachers will love him to pieces and he will always be a superhero to me: SUPER B !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...