Monday, September 10, 2012

Savory Spice Week: Day 1

This week, my Mom and Brother take their plans of nearly a year and make them into a reality to share with all of Oklahoma.  I admire them so much for the risk, the hard work, and the entrepreneurial spirit (that I almost entirely lack).  As I'm usually surrounded by littles I'll not be as much help to them this week as I'd like in the setting up the store phase.  Instead, I think I'll introduce you, my readers, to Savory Spice OKC as I learn about them myself.

I have, in the past, kept a rather large spice collection around (aka my Strategic Spice Reserve).  Until this week, I've had a bit box in my freezer, a large double-decker carousel on my counter, and then a whole cabinet full of spices, herbs, seasonings vinegars, oils, salts, etc.. next to my stove.  So yeah, I fit right in to my family's love of cooking and spices.  Typically, I haven't really gone in for the blends though as I feel pretty confident in my ability to mix and mingle the flavorings I keep around.  

This week, I've decided to challenge myself a bit to change.  First, I threw out the entire spice carousel that has been on my counter with rotating flavors for 11 years.  My Mom, and spice guru, went through my spice cabinet a week or two ago with recommendations about what things in there were old and need to go.  I haven't faced the freezer yet, but will....

The next step, in my spice rehab will be replacing my favorite individual, but old, spices when the store opens on Sunday!  I will buy small quantities this time, thus freeing up storage space as I know I can get more easily that is fresh and tasty.  Would you all like to know what my staple flavors are? Hmmm perhaps another post in the making.

This week's challenge though is trying to figure out these blends my brother has been raving about.  I happen to have a bag of Savory Spice OKC samples on my counter that we're giving out to whomever we encounter (let me know if you want one!)   I decided the samples would be a good place to start my exploration too.  I'll try to take you through my exploration this week so we'll all be ready to explore together when the store is open.  Sound good?  Here goes 

Day 1: Long's Peak Pork Chop Spice

I've been told that some of the allure of the blends is making dinner easy and not requiring rifling through my spice collection and recipe books for something to make.  This sounded promising as I have three small kids and am going back to work next week.  I decided to try this one on pork loin as it is a family favorite and we just don't really have pork chops around that much.  Here is my method, but it is ridiculously simple:

1 - 1lb pork loin
1 - 1/2 oz sample packet of Savory Spice Long's Peak Pork Chop Spice
1 - T. of Olive Oil

I simply slathered the pork loin in olive oil then rubbed it all over with my entire sample packet of Long's Peak Pork Chop Spice.  I put it on a cookie sheet and then into a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.  I let it rest for about 10 minutes and then we were ready to serve.
Sweet potato coins, pork loin, cucumbers with fancied up dip (see below).
I figured that as long as I was playing I'd try to bump up  my usual cucumber dip Savory style too. I had some Paris Cheese Sprinkle in the cabinet from one of my Mom's earlier trips to Denver so I added about 1/2 a tsp to 1/2 a cup of sour cream - very tasty.  I'd love to say there is something equally exciting going on with those sweet potatoes, but they are just cut into 1/4 inch rounds, placed on a cookie sheet that has been lightly coated with olive oil, and then sprinkled with kosher salt and pepper and a bit more olive oil on top.... I'm sure my brother will kick that up a notch, but it was very good for us and took exactly the same length of time to cook as the pork at the same temperature = major cooking win.


Here it is all plated up for the kids, because we're fancy? I should note that the cucumbers and sweet potatoes are from my garden club basket, which has resumed at long last. 

We put the whole meal to the kid test and it was a hit.  My family ate every last bit of the pork and well, everything else, actually.  The kids love pork loin as it is so tender and happily enjoyed the new flavors.  M dipped everything on her plate in the Paris Cheese dip, although the cucumbers were her least favorite of the day. She, of course, declared that she loves spices and will make a great spokes girl for Uncle Able someday. I was worried that I might have put too much seasoning on the pork loin, but it the balance was just right.  It was different flavor mix than I would have made on my own with a good complexity, and a hint of smoke, but not at all over powering.  From a practical standpoint, I loved how easily and quickly the whole meal came together.  Hooray!

One parting shot of B exploring the store last weekend.  We're so excited to see what happens next!

For those of you that live nearby, you can find the shop and all its wares at 4400 N. Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK.  If you happen to live elsewhere and want to buy some spices from my brother you can reach him at awblakley (at) gmail.com or the store's phone number will soon be open at 405 - 525 -9119. 

Disclaimer - I am not an owner or employee of the shop and am not compensated in any way by SavorySpiceOKC ...other than the free samples that are available to anyone.  I was not asked to write this review and all opinions are my own.  
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Heather said...

I tried my sample spices tonight on our oven roasted potatoes and loved the result. My husband was noticeably surprised by the new flavors (I didn't tell him I used different spices to gauge his reaction). He usually doesn't say much, just eats, but he commented on how good they tasted! I also really enjoyed the new flavors. I don't know much about spices except the basics (salt and pepper is good on everything...) so I'm excited to branch out and try some new things. We'll be visiting the shop when it opens!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...