Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Ten on Tuesday



1.  The Girl Scout Cookie saga continued today.  Brent thought it might be fun if M set up a table with him at OSSM to sell cookies to students and staff.  That went very well and we are now down to only 3 boxes of cookies and have probably sold 20 more than we had so they are going to do the table again next week with roughly 12x more Thin Mints than we brought today.  Lessons learned - Thin Mints are key.  Want cookies of you own? There is still time! Sign up via the Digital Cookie and we will deliver them or have them shipped as appropriate  M's Digital Cookie.  M is actively engaged in every cookie sale at some phase and is helping with all the counting of boxes, sorting, money tracking, and inventory decisions. Brent and I firmly believe in keeping the girl in Girl Scout cookies so we're doing our best to make sure she is engaged and in control of as much as possible.



2. This weekend the weather was lovely and M really wanted to spend the time outside.  We walked to the park and they played as long as she wanted doing everything available from the park to running, climbing hills, climbing rocks, make believe, whatever.  The second day E joined the fun.  He would have preferred we just swing for an entire hour or more, but M still mostly got to do what she wanted. I attempted some lunges, squats, push ups, etc... while we were standing around in an attempt to replace the exercise I usually am doing during this time.  It was good to have the one on one time with them after nearly a week away.  I love that there are so many perfect adventure spots in our neighborhood.

3. Oh right, I was in DC last week and did not blog.  I arrived more exhausted than usual after a night with sick kids.  I slept for roughly 12 hours before day 2.  Night 2 included a night time run after dinner with a friend (and this picture with the Corcoran Lions for E).  The White House is roughly behind me and one building over.  Night 3 featured dinner with friends in Virginia.  The last day I got to spend some more time "in the room where it happens," which I love.  My mom primarily communicated with me via Hamilton quote texts and images, which made the trip extra amusing. Thanks to everyone for their help in my absence.


4. Before I left, we had a big family celebration for Brent's birthday.  It was very spur of the moment and really fun. I love having everyone here together and love this guy the most! On his actual birthday, we had fun presents and dinner out at Covell Park.  It was a great day, right until our kids started getting sick... M, who did not feel great, did come up with the genius idea of making him birthday fudge, which definitely helped.


5. Two days before that, we had B's kid birthday party at Main Event. It was a great mix of old and new friends and family.  It went pretty well for such a mixed group of people.  Laser Tag remains B & M's favorite part so perhaps we'll have a little outing for laser quest soon?  (Yes, we made that crazy splatter cake down the table.... if only B would have like the taste as much as the look.  sigh).

6. Other weekend adventures included Valentines making.  We made Valentines for all three kids' classes.  M, of course, made chocolate lollipops for her class.  B made his own "monster" Valentines Box with some help from Brent.  B also put all the names of his classmates on his cards in number order as apparently he has his class memorized that way?  We bought the supplies to donate to M's party and then once all that was done realized we need things for E's parties...logistics is the name of the game at casa Richards.

7.  Tonight, while M and Brent were selling cookies, the boys and I made a spice shop run for the first time in quite awhile.  We arrived home just in time to make pancakes and bacon to celebrate Mardi Gras.  I'm mildly horrified to consider all the carb/calorie intake for the day, but suppose I'll need to take that fasting more seriously tomorrow.... In general, the weight loss has been going well and people in DC noticed the change which was nice.

8. I'm running the CHD Roar ' Run Virtual Race again this year to raise money for CHD Awareness and our own little heart warrior nephew Zane (donations are welcome here).  I have not begun my race yet.... so we'll see how that turns out, but the plan is for tomorrow.  That 12 hour sleep in DC was not the only 12 hour sleep night this week. I seem to have some sort of virus that comes with headaches and minor other aches and tiredness or maybe I'm just old and transitioning poorly? Who knows, but part 1 of the race to support the heart warriors begins Wednesday.

9. While I was gone, Edmond put out the new school rezoning proposal.  I was not particularly surprise to discover we're now assigned to Cheyenne middle school as it is dramatically closer to my house, but am a little said that M and her besties may be split up on middle school.  We are still zoned for North High School, but much less of the city is in the new plan so hopefully it will be somewhat less over crowded? (Wishful thinking?) Some parents we know got slightly less good outcomes in the rezoning so there were lots of angst filled texted and social media posts.  It is kind of an amazing phenomenon coming from a tiny district before, but I suspect it will all be fine.

10.  My siblings and their spouses are all going to the beach next week.  Yes, I am jealous, thanks for checking.  We were invited, but were/are just too house poor for that to be a smart financial choice (not to mention the who would watch our kids that long and not go crazy issue).  I hope they have a wonderful time and keep telling myself we made a good decision that is right for us right now.  I'll just bask in my lovely neighborhood instead.  Today's neighborhood moment included my elderly across the street neighbor coming over to get the name of the spice shop, our telephone numbers, and a promise that we will be here this weekend so she can bring us a welcome to the neighborhood lemon chess pie, which she tried to bring us a week or so ago and we weren't here so they were forced to eat it. (She did not seem too upset about that outcome, but who would be?)  She is tremendously lovely and energetic.  She really reminds me a lot of what my Grandma Dotter might have been like if she were still alive--- bonus points that her 90 year old husband's name is Dale as well!  Hooray for amazing neighbors and simple blessings of lemon pie. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...