Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Haircut

Today, I attempted to give B a haircut myself for the first time. Since cutting our income by 1/3 I've been on a minor frugality kick and yeah with the economic news probably not a bad idea. So, I bought a set of clippers several weeks ago (see helping the economy at the same time). I read the instructions and googled how to cut little boy hair (per my mom's instructions). Well, I can't say I did that great a job. Everything was going fine. We had trimmed the back and sides and B was not screaming or wiggling much. He and Daddy were giggling over the clippers tickling. When it came time to use scissors for the top we remembered that I really lack hand eye coordination. Even though I'd seen the hairdresser do it several times, I couldn't quite get myself to replicate the motions. So, we just put on the biggest numbered guard and cut the rest. It was still OK, just a bit shorter than we're used to.

Then came the ears. Some may remember the disaster that occured when Brent asked me once to just cut the stray hair over one ear.... he ended up with alot of skin exposed and it was very embarassing. Thus, I had not cut his hair a bit in many years. Yeah, that happened again. I attached the "left ear" guard.... right, adult size... So B's hair goes very high over his left ear and below that pretty much just skin. Brent did the other side and, of course, it is perfect. I was so sad. Both, I think, because he looks odd to me, but also because I miss running fingers through his longer hair. It doesn't help that he is marginally less cute with his weird left side. It is amazing how different just a haircut can make you look... Oh well, I suppose we'll try again and maybe let Daddy do the close work. There's a picture here of his very summery cut (still warm here, but hard to deny it is October). No close up of the left side as I don't particularly want to remember it (or the game today... but that's another story). Nevertheless, it was great to hang out with our OU crew and I think the little boys had a great time. The big boys, perhaps not quite as much, but we'll continue on to cheer another day.

Hope your weekend is happy!

3 comments:

r said...

The game...well, the less said about that, the better. Ugh.

I'm not the most sophisticated observer, but I think his hair looks very cute. We have Timothy's hair cut short (mostly because coming at him with scissors would probably be a bad idea). I'm sorry you had a disaster with the ear, but at least you have now discovered Brent's hidden talent of cutting hair!

I hope your weekend is good too. It has to get better from here, doesn't it? :)

Jamie said...

What game?

I too think the hair looks adorable! It is good to have change every once in a while. Although I do not have much experience since I still have an almost baldy.

The picture does not show the error on the left ear, but I am sure it is not as noticable as you think it is.

You did great!

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

Isn't life fun!?
I am so happy to get to spend a couple of days here with B. He is such a delight to be with and to watch. Being with him helps me to be gentler with my kiddos at school. About the haircut...you can't hurt classic cute. With eyes like that, no one even looks at his hair anyway. Ha Ha You are a terrific Mother and I am so proud of you. Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...