Friday, July 30, 2010

Birthday Week: Our Sweet Snuggler

I really enjoy the Birthday Week Posts that Jamie and Chrissie do so I'm going to attempt to do something similar for Maggie this week in the lead up to her first birthday. 

Part I - Our Sweet Snuggler

Once upon a time, I took a class entitled "Family Living" in High School (I know at least a few of my readers were in it too, and a few of my readers are very confused-- basically it was a home ec course).  In that class, the teacher said there are two personalities when it comes to personal space - Walruses and Sparrows.  The former are very affectionate, have very small personal "bubbles" and are the more snuggly, while the sparrows flit around on their own and are much less prone to spontaneous snuggles.  Brent and Brendan are definitely sparrows and I am certainly a Walrus.  I told Brent about this categorization years ago and was surprised when a couple weeks ago he announced that Maggie was definitely a Walrus (yes, it took me a bit to recall what we were discussing).  I am so glad to have this sweet little snuggler in our family.

As with many little ones, our baby lady is prone to "checking in" she will come back to whomever is watching her frequent, tag them and snuggle then head off again.  She loves hugs and gives out kisses if you're lucky.  She is glad to be held and carried anytime.  She loves to be with her Mama and we've had great bonding time this week and more one-on-one interaction. I love all of this, but it can be a bit tough to be close as much as she wants as I have to do other things so there is some crying involved too, but we're working on it. 

My favorite new development in the sweet caregiver world is the patting.  She loves to give pats now just like her Great Grandma Dotter.  She is not quite the expert in the appropriate amount of force, but for a nearly one year old is doing remarkably well.  She gives me pats while a put her in the sling, for instance, or am carrying her around.  She pats Zane whereever she can reach when he is around.  We are being very careful to make sure she is being gentle with him and does, occasionally, get over zealous.  She will pat any of the adults as she comes by for a visit and even pats B on occasion.  Given all that is going on just now, it is amazing how comforting a little pat from a happy baby is.
Strawberry Shortcake Hasbro Mini Soft Doll Lemon Meringue
She also, miraculously, has started snuggling her dolls and stuffed animals.  She got a new, soft, small lemon meringue doll (from the Strawberry Shortcake line) on the airplane and actually plays it a bit.  Better still, today, Audra, Zane, Maggie and I were shopping in Kirkwood and she saw this stuffed animal and HAD to have it. It was this small, pink and white Maison Chic giraffe rattle. It is made of a patchwork of four different fabrics, very girly looking, and has a little rattle. I was overjoyed to see her snuggle up to it as I always adored stuffed animals and have been sad that my kids showed no interest.  Aunt Audra bought it for M's birthday and M has been loving it all day.  I'm so excited:)

I love our little snuggle bug and the warm wonderful feeling of her curled up in my lap.  I know time is short for holding her and she is already so active, but I hope she continues to be a snuggler and a good patter too!

1 comment:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

How appropriate that she has Great Grandma's patting bent! Mom would be so happy with this happy little snuggler.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...