Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall: Dots & Dimension

When I opened my Cocoa Daisy kit this month the first two pages were Crate Paper's Chemistry underneath Basic Grey's doily "Daisy Maze".  I decided that I really wanted to make a page with just that arrangement as its base. I did, however, want to add just a bit of dimension and combine with some pictures of our adventures from last fall.



Things to note:

  • I added dimension through in small ways.  The doily is adhered using Glue Dots as are all the buttons, flowers and matted photos.  I lifted the photos off the mat just a little using Glue Dots Glue Lines as well. Nothing is too high off the page, but the overall impact is a bit more visual interest with items at various heights.  
  • This is one of my first layouts to use paint rather than ink.  I initially wanted a mustard yellow to edge the photo mats, but didn't have that color of paint in my rather limited collection.  Instead, I mixed the yellow I had with just a bit of brown. The result was more taupe than yellow, but I decided I liked it so went ahead with the revised plan. 
  • To paint the edges I tapped the edges of the photo mat with a foam brush dipped in the paint blend I created.  This creates an interesting uneven edging and dried quickly.
  • The Journaling talks about visiting the Kirkwood Farmers Market last year and playing "clothespin in a haystack" for prizes.  That is the background story, but mostly I just  liked the pictures of B with Audra and I.
  • Note the use of layers throughout.  I think that in places there are up to six.  I find more and more that for a layout to feel finished and visually interesting I aim for 5-7 layers in a few area.
  • Visual triangle - I am working on creating a visual triangle in many layouts and think you'll find it here -- two flower areas plus the happy days tag at the bottom.
  • The doily is so lovely that I wanted to keep as much of it in view as possible.  I did dot buttons here and there which I though added both dimension and interest to the more open sections of the pages.  Each are adhered with Glue Dots which made it quick and easy to get them just where I wanted them.
How do you add dimension and visual interest to your pages?

Supplies List:  Everything but the Adhesive & Pen is from the October Happy Days Kit from Cocoa Daisy.
“I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots design team.”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...