Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent Calendar Preparations

During the family festivities this weekend I got a few questions about my Advent calendar plans and did a little brainstorming with my mom.  I thought I would share the results here in case any of you would like ideas as this is my first time being in charge of filling ours (came pre-filled by Grandma B last year).  Below is my plan plus a site or too for extra inspiration:

Here is the Advent calendar we are using.  It is a quilt version made for us by my Mom.  It has 25 relatively small pockets that we will begining opening on December 1. The numbers are in random order so each morning we will search for the appropriate number for that day before Brent goes to work, as we did last year. As noted in my prior post, I plan to combine activity tickets along with candy, small toys, etc...

The tickets seem to be drawing the most interest.  Initially, I had thought to make my own, probably using this printable from House of 3 (Ps. through Monday everything there is 1/2 off with the "blackfriday" code).   However, it began to seem like more work than I wanted to print, cut, etc...Then I finally remembered while pondering my December Daily supplies that I have these tickets which are perfect.  My plan is to write/draw the activity on the ticket for the days we're doing one.  (I'll likely drop some M&Ms or something in too on those days).  The awesome thing about the tickets in my situation, other than being premade and cute, is that I can then just add them in to my December Daily along with a picture of the activity and some journaling and that day's entry is a little-bit pre-planned.

My activity ideas so far are:

  • Edmond Christmas Parade
  • Baking Christmas Cookies
  • Attend a Cookie Party (in Tulsa)
  • Hot Cocoa
  • Ice Skating
  • Christmas Movie + Popcorn
  • Christmas Music (this will include a CD pre-loaded and direct them to push play--or maybe we'll find some to go listen to?)
  • Decorate the Christmas Tree
  • Visit Santa
  • Buy Gifts for Tree Angel (Assuming I can find one to sponsor).
  • Christmas Craft Day
  • On the 24th it will direct them to individual packages containing PJs).
Do you have any other suggestions?  I probably won't add tickets for events until I'm sure they are happening that day.  I know when some of these things will be (namely the first three) but am trying to remain flexible.  This does mean that I likely will not fill the entire tree from the outset.  This is also probably mandatory here as it will likely be within M's reach and she is very VERY inquisitive.

Contents on other days will likely include:
  • Candy -- I have several varieties of small candy and some gum tape in super hero packaging.
  • Bells (assuming my mom brings me some....hint, hint)
  • One small ornament each
  • Small toy -- like tops
  • Christmas stickers
  • Stickers of favorite characters - My Little Pony/Transformers
  • Day 25 will likely be the small Jesus that goes in our Nativity.  I may sprinkle in some other Nativity characters once our Christmas decorations boxes are down (I don't decorate until after December 1, generally).
I do have more than 25 total ideas/items just now, but suspect that some activities might fall through and can always have an activity + candy or stickers in the same day. 

Other ideas & inspiration sites:
  • Audra's MIL, I hear, puts M&Ms in every day so this much variety is not necessary.
  • Ali Edwards has Advent Action cards and activity ideas here that were a great jumping off point although I'm not using these particular digi files. 
  • Elle's Studio has a handy printable Advent Calendar you could use to quickly create your own calendar at minimal expense with supplies you probably have around.
  • You could get crafty and make your own from boxes and pretty paper as seen here.
  • You can read about Chrissie's Advent Calendar, December Daily and related activities from 2009 starting here.
  • Here are a few Advent Calendar ideas from Cool Mom Picks.
  • Here is some History of Advent from the Catholic Church's perspective and here from a more neutral source.  I make no promises about the facts in either, but the very short form is that it is a season of preparation for the celebration of Jesus' birth.
  • We also usually use our Advent wreath in connection with the week the church is celebrating, but admittedly don't have it out yet despite today being the first Sunday of Advent.  Can you believe that the one I'm using I won as a child many years ago?  (You can see it still for sale here).
  • This isn't particularly Advent, but it is about preparation.  Check out last week's blog posts from Write.Click.Scrapbook.  They were all about preparations for Christmas and absolutely full of free printables, digital templates and other goodies to help celebrate within budget and low stress.  I very much enjoyed it-- particularly this one.
I am looking forward to December and focusing on all that is good.  I'm particularly trying to experience the season and be conscious about observing and remembering the joy in our lives wherever we may find it this month as we prepare for our Christmas celebrations.  Any suggestions for Advent, December Daily or juggling two small children through the excitement would be appreciated as always!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...