Monday, November 29, 2010

Chef B: Toad Hole Choc

On Thanksgiving morning, I was making Toad in a Hole for breakfast in honor of Uncle Zach who is a big fan (and in a private celebration of not having cereal on a holiday).  While I tried to explain what this was, B came up with his own original recipe with a similar name.  His recipe was for "Toad Hole Choc" (pronounced "Chalk").

He informed us the ingredients were: chicken, broccoli, potato chips and maple syrup.  Being our typical encouraging selves we promised to have it for dinner the following week.  Today, I began attempting to create this recipe.  The first stumbling block was discovering we had very few potato chips.  The kids elected to eat the few remaining chips and we subbed in tortilla chips (I suspect it would have been better the other way). I Googled a bit and decided to go with slightly altered takes these two recipes with Maple Syrup as a dipping sauce for either or both:

The Best Broccoli of Your Life - The Amateur Gourmet -- Brent actually loves this and had seconds.  This is impressive as he rarely eats vegetables let alone broccoli.  Kids and I enjoyed it as well.  We were using thawed frozen broccoli so I'm sure it would be even better with fresh ingredients. (I'm again trying to use up some things in the freezer).

Chicken Fingers - Kaboose - This is from their Halloween collection and I literally found it by Googling chicken fingers and tortilla chips.  It was OK, not spectacular.  I would think about trying it again with actual potato chips which I think would work better. Kids did particularly like it though so counts as a win, particularly as it is baked, not fried and still has a relatively crispy texture.

As this combo was a great success Brent asked B to think up another recipe.  The next challenge: Peas, Cereal, Pasta & Fish--- titled Fish Pasta (much more boring name, I know).  I will let you know what I come up with, but am excited that B is getting involved in designing dishes and it seems to encourage him to eat more of the dish as well so it is a win-win.  We may have begun a small-scale iron chef project here and I'm fascinated to see where it goes.  Any creative dinner or cooking suggestions with kids?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...