Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In the beginning

Today, our dear nephew Matthew Allen was born. We cannot wait to meet him and are sending huge hugs and love to his parents and big brother! We decided it was time to welcome spring and new life here too (no, not pregnant). Today, we began our garden for this year. I turned over all the soil and gathered our seeds and helpers.
Brendan & I planted carrots (two kinds), radishes, spinache, lettuces, a couple potatoes, and onions.
Here we are digging trenches and tapping in the carrots. There was a small problem as I apparently use shovels primarily with my left foot. My left knee has been sore for a week and is now much worse-- no exercise today, sadly....
Here I am with the far end of our garden. You can see our surviving rosemary, thyme, and sage in the lower left. In the upper section, you'll see the greens of garlic and the egyptian onions my mother gifted us. They came from an old friend and neighbor's garden. The lovely lady is gone, but her garden lives in mine and my mother's.
Posted by Picasa

Brent wrapped up the gardening with a good soaking for our new friends while I herded M in to clean up, nurse my knee and have supper.  A lovely almost spring day full of many new beginnings.


1 comment:

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

Dad is smiling down on all of you! How fun and we were doing the exact same thing here. It was a gardening window, no doubt. Love ya.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...