Monday, May 23, 2011

It all comes back to Pie


So, I finally did it. For the first time since my Dad died I was finally able to work up the moxie to do a page that was, at least sort of, about him. This one is technically about pie. His favorite pie (or at least close to it). A pie flavor I resisted pretty much his whole life -- Cream Raisin Pie*. We made it for Thanksgiving and I added this huge meringue batch. It was positively phenomenal, if I do say so myself. It was absolutely worth documenting (the recipe is on the back -- and below). Here's hoping that something as simple as shared love for pie will help me through the next stage of my grieving process and help me tell a few more of these simple, wonderful stories.

Raisin Cream Pie

1 baked pie shell (you can find my recipe here)
1 cup raisins (I always mix raisins with a little water and squeeze them around a bit with my fingers and then drain before I use them in a recipe because I think they're dirty )
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 cup water
1 cup cream
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
4 T. cornstarch or 2 T. flour
1 t. vanilla

Boil raisins, water and sugar for two min. Mix cornstarch into cream, add salt and egg yolk and add to boiling raisin mixture. Cook until thick. Pour into baked pie shell. Use egg whites for meringue.

Marshmallow Meringue: (something I found on another raisin cream pie recipe)
4 egg whites
1 cup marshmallow cream
dash of salt.

Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Spread over pie filling, sealing to edge of crust. Bake in 350 degrees oven 12 to fifteen minutes or until lightly browned.



*Technically he prefer something called Sour Cream Raisin, but we ended up making this and loving it and I am sure he would have too.

Scrapbooking Supplies:  Patterned Paper:  My Minds Eye, Heidi Swapp, and Crate Paper; Border Sticker & Tag - Crate Paper, Letter Stickers - Bella Blvd; Paint: SC Mister Huey in Calico Cream, Adhesive: Glue Dots
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try this. Thanks for the link. I'm so sorry about your dad. I can't imagine losing mine. He's 81 so it's probably coming sooner rather than later. Grief is so so hard.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...