Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

1. This weekend we bought bunk beds! They were delivered yesterday, oddly minus the ladder which is coming later in the week.  This means the great room moving is underway and feels like quite a bit of chaos at this point.  Until the ladder arrives B is sleeping on the bottom bunk so the complete switch won't be for a week or so.  It is odd, but I have to say that so far they are loving it and playing in "their" room together all the time.

2.  It is quite possible that doing this big, chaotic move every single item both kids own project could have waited for a better week as B's birthday is on Friday and my sister's family arrives then as well, followed shortly by big family and MDO friends party on Saturday.  I "think" it will be awesome if we can just pull some order out of the chaos by then.  The party is Mario themed and plans are moving along pretty well.  Thankfully my Mom and Sister have taken on the "activity" part of the party as I never really get to that part.

3.  I don't know if you've been following Colbert's "presidential" exploratory bid, but his whole series on the Federal Election Commission PAC process has been inspired. This link to the NY Times Magazine profile is a good starting place if you're new to this adventure.

4. I know I'm fairly late to this party, but I've been rather enjoying Adele during my work hours lately.  Here is a samples for those of you not already well into her stylings:


The songs I know of hers are kind of sad, but apropos for her bluesy style.

5.  Gymnastics!  At long last M started her first mommy and my gymnastics class.  She did great!  At the beginning she was a tiny bit unsure, but tried a few things on the circuit.  By about half way through the second area she was excited and ready to try anything from swinging on the trapeze to lots of trampoline bouncing and swinging on the rings.  She was sad when it was over, but no tears and lots of bouncing smiles!

6.  I began my tenure on the Oklahoma Bar Association's Work Life Balance Committee today.  It was an odd conference call.  My practice, as usual, is so different from other people's that it is a bit weird for me to contemplate at this point the affect of things like long days at court on balance, when I just never go.  They seemed to find my job strangely glamorous, and I didn't disabuse the notion, but it will be interesting to see what I can contribute to the group when we find more of a shared language.

7.  Pregnancy - my body is definitely changing now.  It still feels early for my tummy to be growing, but it definitely is and it definitely was not pleased at all the things I did yesterday, so I rested in the evening like I'm supposed to.  I feel like I'm eating a lot, which is wildly unnecessary so trying to be more mindful of my choices and consider if I'm actually hungry or just stressed. (This week is a bit stressful for me so mostly the later, I'm afraid).

8.  Exercise -- Last week went well and along my 3x per week of cardio plan.  This week is not looking quite so good as I missed Zumba this evening due to gymnastic logistics complications, but we have ideas to fix that a bit for next week. Trying to sneak in a bit tomorrow if possible, we shall see.  Meanwhile, I'm attempting to use my "night splints" to help my feet.  They do seem to help quite a bit, but so far, I haven't managed to wear them the entire 8 hour night as it is hard to really rest with moon boots on.

9.  Food:  Not a super inventive week on the food front.  We did try a new curry recipe that I loved.  It received somewhat mixed reviews from the rest of the crowd.  I also tried a new "toffee bark" recipe for book club.  It was good, but quite sweet with just a hint of salt. I am currently fighting the urge to make custard, coconut cream pie, or possibly baked doughnuts as my own celebration of five years of motherhood, holding off as I'm afraid I'd eat it all... maybe when my company arrives.

10.  Birthday Boy! My son is turning five on Friday.  It seems unbelievable and some how time all at once.  I  (hopefully) will have some year in review reflection posts this week or next, but overall feel like it has been a good year.  There has been a lot of maturing, learning, and loving.  My favorite new thing is that suddenly, he talks a lot to people other than Brent and I (at least most of the time).  Sometimes, so much that we have to keep reminding him not to interrupt us.  He is wildly enthusiastic about telling them about his video game escapades or his new bunk bed set up or maybe his upcoming birthday party.  I can only imagine what the year to come may hold with all the marvels and struggles that were part of the last five.  Hooray for an amazing little guy that introduced us to parenthood and continues to introduce us to new things about life and love each year. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...