Friday, March 23, 2012

Five on Friday

As promised,  this Five on Friday is brought to you by inspiration pieces for the redesigned nursery and maybe the big kids room too!

Unlike most weeks, I've actually bought a few of these pieces to start my design process:)
Discover Lumbar Pillow via Pottery Barn Kids

1.  This pillow was probably one of the very first things to grab my attention. I was leafing through the Pottery Barn Kids magazine while waiting for my computer to reboot and loved the entire room this was in as well as the National Geographic bits generally.  It began my inspiration both from a color perspective but also the idea of a concept rather than a particular motif as the theme. So, in short, our them is discover/exploration/adventure/travel, etc... (Note:yes, there is an "Explore"version too, but so far I've managed to resist it).

Retro Map Clock - via Pottery Barn Kids

2.  Next, I wandered through the site for a few other accessories that might compliment it without being too overwhelmingly "themey". They had to be things I really liked and wanted to help set the tone of the room. This large Retro Map Clock falls squarely in the "want"not "need"category, but it made me so happy that I bought it and can see myself using it in a variety of ways over the years. (Hint-- it also reminds me of my Dad just a bit for some reason).

Globe Finial via Pottery Barn Kids
3. This one I wasn't as infatuated with, but it seemed necessary to replace the existing butterfly finials and I've long since discovered that you have to use PBK finials with these rods as other ones don't fit.  Therefore, I went ahead and got these cool pewter looking globe finials.

Even with free shipping this pretty much exhausted how much I could randomly justify spending at PBK so it was time ot move on to DIY options. I began with some gooling, pinning, and of course chatting with my DIY mentor Chrissie.  The below are a few possibilities of where the design "might"go from here.
Map Lantern - via DIY Life
Map + quote - via Amy Rice Art












4.  I want some more globe/map/vintage things incorporated into the room. Two ideas I am toying with are making some paper lantern art like above (Via DIY life) with the circles made out of map paper or vintage book paper. The other is some sort of art quote take on maps + travel sayings like the sample above from Amy Rice.
Around the World Letters - Via Urban Outfitters

5.Finally, I do want to incorporate the baby's name or initials as well. (Granted we don't know what those are/will be). So, in the longer term, I"m thinking of buying or making a set like the sample above from Urban Outfitters.

Somewhere right around here the map theme began to overtake the overall "discovery/explore/travel" idea so I decided to step away and think a bit before I undertook any of these.

Other things we're pondering:
Awesome Wall Map project via Burlap & Denim
  • Wall color-- probably light blue or an aqua like map oceans tend to be. Could do a more neutral brown, but I'd like a bit more color. Isn't the above mural wall Chrissie found me awesome? Just projected onto the wall and traced with a paint pen. 
  • Curtains - tentatively thinking this is where we'll bring in the vintage/aged brown color, but no specific examples yet. I "might"go find some fabric I like and make no sew curtains or ask my mom/Chrissie to help make them.
  • Drawer Pulls - M's pink glass flowers need to go, but so far the map pulls are crazy expensive so looking for other ideas.
  • Shelf - the shelf we have has pink glass knobs and is white -- to get to cream/brown theme we need to paint and replace the knobs or get some new shelves (this one was very cheap and could be moved to the big kids room)
  • Storage - the storage includes some red canvas bins that get to stay, pink ones that get to go and a white toy bin that will likely need to be painted to join the new theme (or maybe I should accept some white as it is in my inspiration clock too....). We also want a different hamper for the blankets as the current one is fuschia and a different hamper as this one is covered in purple flowers. I think we can find some simple fixes for these last two at target. 
  • Dream sign above the door stays as well as the furniture, diaper pail, and our existing collection of "boy"bedding, changing table covers, etc...

Any thoughts, suggestions, or volunteers to pull this off in the next couple of months?

1 comment:

Audra said...

Abbey
We can totaly decoupage those letters if you have fold out maps, maybe from Oklahoma, Virginia, or other random places you have been/want to go. I want to find an old globe to hang from the ceiling in Zane's new room too, but I hate thrift stores or antique shops which I think is where they would be. I will keep my eye out for some.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...