Sunday, March 10, 2013

TLAM 2013: Run Lucky


Today was the culmination of my Train Like a Mother "Finish It" program.  Thank so costuming by Bethany we were all looking cute. 


I'm not sure if you can see it, but Jennie and I have little cute hats like Bethany's pinned to our pony tails and yes, they made it to the end of the run!

It was cold and windy in true Oklahoma fashion so I had on at least two layers pretty much all over. This race was to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and I ran with my friend Denise's name on my back. She is nearing the end of her Leukemia treatment and I am so proud of her for her courage and strength. I was honored to celebrate her run for her today. 

 I started the run with Jennie, but after 5 or so minutes realized I was running quite a bit faster than my normal pace and knew that I would need to slow down if I was going to be Ok to run the whole time (yes, I obviously forgot to take my inhaler before I got out of the car, not good).  I ran the rest of the race like I trained, by myself, at roughly my normal pace.  There were a few problems like three (for Oklahoma) large hills.  The first two I charged determinedly up, the last.... ummm I made it to the top. I finished about 8 minutes faster than the September 5k at 38.20.  My goal for the race was less than 40 minutes so all was well. 

I also got a medal and to celebrate with everyone.  The kids are fascinated by the medal, which I'm fairly sure is my first running related medal ever:)  Next up, the 1.2 mile Princess Run with M at the beginning of April, followed by the Memorial 5K at the end of April.  I "think" I'll try to work on the TLAM "Own it" 5k, but at the moment am basking in where I am, which is just fine indeed.

Big thanks to Tracie for helping inspire me to start my training and running "with" me all the way.  Our near daily check ins on how we were each doing are a great help and seeing her clock in her miles on Facebook helps get me out the door the next day. Thanks to Jennie for hanging out with me and running with me today and to Bethany for our wardrobe and joining in the fun (and to Peter for joining her and us at the last minute).     Thanks also to Heather, Stephanie, Able (and Kari), and my mom  for their support, confidence, and for putting up with a lot of my insecurities or need to talk about the running thing frequently.  

Finally, a huge thanks to Brent for supporting me every moment and always encouraging or helping facilitate the time for every run.  For understanding that I need it, encouraging me out the door, and getting that sometimes it hurts, for taking care of our kids, and for never for a second letting me feel guilty about any of it (time, expense, extra stuff, etc)...  He is my #1 cheerleader and supporter.  Today, for example, he hung out with the kids, finished repainting the kitchen, and put the kitchen back together while I mostly ran or chilled.  He, I suspect, will say it is nothing, and it is absolutely the norm to be this support for each other in our marriage but it makes this possible, and helps keep me sane.  Thank you my love. 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

manda_hladik said...

I love this post, and congratulations on your running achievements!!! The training for any race is a tedious, sometimes frustrating road to go down, especially when faced with minor setbacks, but the moment when you achieve your goal is worth every minute of it! I agree that an accountability partner is a must in making any headway, and am glad you have found one in Tracie. Best of luck to you on your future races! You'll do great! :)

Heather said...

Great job Abbey! Your running journey is inspiring and I'm happy to help in some way. Congrats on the 5k PR, that is impressive! I'm sure there will be many more accomplishments for you as you continue. This was a tough and hilly course on a yucky weather day; you definitely know you're tough enough to handle anything! I'm excited to hear how your next training cycle goes!

Tracie said...

I'm so proud of you Abbey! Thanks for being my accountability partner! You truly inspire me. My 9 week program is now over, so I'm going to need lots of checking in on. I'm not so good at doing it on my own. I can't wait to run in the Memorial 5K... even if it is at 6:30am.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...