Monday, November 17, 2008

Cheese Review

When we lived in Alexandria, we could walk through our neighborhood to this amazing cheese shop called Cheesetique. Going there and picking up some interesting cheese, wine and bread became one of our favorite outings. We would make a little picnic date out of it by making a picnic dinner out of it in our living room after B went to bed. (Not always cheap, but easy and no babysitter required.) We loved it and were able to try many different cheeses and wines this way.

We were pretty concerned about how, if at all, we would find fun cheese in Oklahoma and we clearly would not be able to walk there. (For those not familiar with Oklahoma - in newer areas the housing is all in rather closed "editions." There are generally no businesses within these editions, just homes and maybe playgrounds or pools.) From my edition, there are no sidewalks to anywhere. This week, however, in researching a possible date to mark our decade Brent found Forward Foods in Norman. This means that our cheese hunting trips have gone from about a 10-15 minute walk to a 45 minute or so drive. We'll be going less often, but decided to make the most of it. We found the cheese and bread and had lunch at Bison Witches (a restaurant we enjoyed in College).

We tried the following (my review is included with each, but they are in no particular order):

Red Hawk - (California) is a semi-soft cheese that was apparently awarded the American Cheese Society's Best in Show in 2003. We thought it was pretty awful. I actually didn't even finish my first piece. Tasted pretty soapy and not at all yummy which was particularly sad as it was both the most expensive and the only semi-soft in the bunch.

Black Mountain - (Wales) - a white cheddar with wine, garlic and herbs. I thought it was very tasty. Brent decided he doesn't really like cheese with herbs or garlic in them.

Cotswold - (England) - a very orange Double Gloucester with chives mixed it. This is an old favorite that we've had several times before. Oddly, I found myself not liking it quite as much as usual. Perhaps having both the Black Mountain and this at the same time was too much of the same thing. (The orange and green cheese at right)

Smoked Provolone - (unsure) - the name pretty much sums it up. I picked this because Brent loves provolone. It was fine. Not amazing, or unusual, but good.

Saving the best for last....

Ewephoria - (Holland) - Sheep's milk cheese that was slightly crumbly and hard. It is very sweet and a bit different than other sheep's milk cheese I've had. We both really liked it and ate up every bit! (You can see its close-up above).

Brent also found some fabulous Fig Spread with Orange that I used to always get in VA and love with cheese and bread. It was a delicious feast and I was so glad to find this little store that is jam packed with interesting things. I hope to browse more later, perhaps sometime when B is not along as there is just too much stuff for him to resist!

6 comments:

r said...

Get out of my head!!!

Ahem, I was going to post something very similar, with different cheeses. Wow. I'm going to have to read this over again because I was just sitting there saying wow over and over again.

Anyway...we're just on the same page right now, I guess! :) Which is pretty cool.

Abbey said...

That is so very funny! I'm discovering through this that many of us are in the same place. It is a great little shared community we're creating online. I love it. Can't wait to hear all about your cheeses!

r said...

Okay, now I can comment on your cheese selections. :) The only one of those we have tried so far is the Cotswold, and we thought it was just heavenly. It has such a strong flavor, and it went well with crackers.

I'll probably post some of this later, but we have been having cheese, bread/crackers, and wine after the kids have gone to bed for a while now. We've finally decided that we're going to institute "Cheese Fridays" when we can have a home date night. You're right, it's not cheap, but it is such a highlight of our week. I'll talk about our favorite cheeses on my blog, and maybe you and I can get ideas from each other!

Abbey said...

That would be awesome! I can't wait to hear all about it and think it is fascinating and cool that we've stumbled on to the same favored activity. I do love Cotswold, this one just seemed maybe old or something? Looking forward to hearing more about yours and swapping ideas. (Also glad someone is interested in the post as I was a bit unsure...)

Anonymous said...

I second the Cottswald comment. It's pretty unique among the cheeses we've tried. We found another English cheese we like the other day: porter cheddar. It's exactly what it sounds like. Cheddar - check. Porter - check. It has a dark brown wax rind that makes the cheese look like it is covered in chocolate. Good stuff.

Summer said...

Hi Abbey,

I'm way behind on your posts, and since the post I want to comment on is a couple pages ago, I thought I'd comment here, just so you would find it (I don't see comments on my old posts if they're off the front page). I was reading your post about sneaking more veggies in, and we too have that same problem. I will give K a bite of a mixture of veggies, pasta, cheese, and she will literally spit out the veggies only. Pretty impressive, but very maddening. I bought "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld at B&N and absolutely love it! I've made several recipes, all of which have gone over well with both the hubby and the kiddo. Of course they don't substitute for having veggies out in the open so they learn to like them, but it makes me feel better on those days that all it seems she eats is cheese, that she at least got a TINY bit of veggies in there. It was on sale for about $10, and I really think it is well worth it. And if you made your baby food, you will be well versed in how to make the purees that go in the dishes. Anyways, just wanted to share! Hope you are doing well!

Summer

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...