Sunday, August 1, 2010

Birthday Week: Mother - Daughter Bond

Since I was very young, I've always wanted a daughter.  I don't really remember always wanting to be a mother, but definitely wanted to have a little girl.  I think this is because of all the amazing women in my family and amazing female reationships.  Do not misunderstand me, I ADORE my sweet B and am so honored to be his mother, but still, part of me continued to long for a little girl to join our family.  So much so, in fact, that I couldn't quite believe it was real until she was really here.  I already feel a special mother/daughter bond and am loving all that it is and may be.

For instance, I am her "magic" person.  I am the one that she comes to for comfort most often and she often cries whenever I leave her sight.  One of the reasons Lady M came with me for the full 10 days in Missouri is there was some concern that one or both of us might go crazy if we were apart that long.  We have to get in our hugs and snuggles and this trip has been great for that.  Granted, she has definitely driven me crazy at moments as she just never stops moving and exploring.  In a house where a nearly one year old is not resident, this is a lot of defense to be played.  I even asked my bro to take her away to play at one point as I really needed a break.  However, I was missing her in minutes and glad to have my little explorer back.  We have had so much great time together on this trip and it has been nice to be able to give her more focused attention that is not always available to the second (or later) child.  She loves attention and I love seeing that smile.

Our relationship has fun little fluffy bits too. I love shopping for baby girl clothes, toys, and furnishings.  I can't say that I was a big fan of pink before, but now even I am wearing it a bit more.  I still struggle with the hair, but enjoy that it is the same golden hue mine was as a child.  I like finding bows and flowers to play with and have her wear.  She tolerates this, although perhaps does not love it.  She does seem to like her dresses, but is very very wiggly when it is time to get dressed or undressed.

Today, we were watching a bit of some wedding program on TLC and I came to the realization that with luck in a couple decades or so that could be Maggie and I trying on silly,beautiful dresses.  Amazing.  I love having a daughter and I love our Maggie J.  I know that with this blessing comes great responsibility and hope we are up to the challenge.  We will do our best baby girl and we will love you always.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Love this. I was the opposite of you I think, I was sort of dreading having a girl (God has a sense of humor). But now I cannot imagine life any other way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...