Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ten on Tuesday - STL Children's Hospital Edition

1. Today was baby Zane's surgery. It has gone really well so far. Check out my sister's blog (link on the right bar) for more details. Glad we are all here as it helps time pass more quickly.

2. This is 21st century surgery in many ways. The most obvious being all the technology in the operation as well as pre and post op. The communication involved is also modern as we have a live Twitter feed with updates (follow @abbeyviolet or @AbleWorth). We are also doing some facebook updating, texting and email. We feel very in touch and appreciate the instant support.

3. I can not imagine being in my sister's shoes. Today my kids had little accident at the babysitters and just that makes me tense and sad and they are both totally fine, just scratched scared and far away.

4. I am a doer, as you know. I do not excel at sitting and have nearly no medical knowledge to contribute here. Rather, I cook. Phase one was yesterday and I am sure there will be more to come. We froze most of my work, but a big double batch of Smitten Kitchen's blondies came here (small tribute to our blondies) and they are quite popular.

5. It is great to see that Audra had great work colleagues. They have stopped by frequently and all seem so nice.

6. I got to see Zane in post-op! I was not sure they would let us in, but it was so good to see his little blond head. He is so cute even after a tough day.

7. the hospital has lovely amenities. We got a private waiting room this morning, to start. There is a lovely garden on the 8th floor, Ronald McDonald family space on the 5th, lots of free water, coffee, ice and wifi, and greets decorations. There are also play and school spaces for kids, a kids library, chapel, therapy pets and more.the security is also pretty intense which in appreciate.

8. Audra ran a great prep session. We have only one rule. If you are going to freak out, get out.

9. Zane was extubated pretty quickly after reaching the CICU. He is kind of uncomfortable now, but doing well. His Daddy is giving him pats and he is being a champ.

10. The other patient families are hard to be with as they are not all having as good of results. Hug and love your kids and families.

Thank you all for your continuing thoughts and prayers. We so need and appreciate them. We love you and appreciate you support.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I just read through all the updates. I'm so happy things have gone well. Keep us updated. Sending hugs and love to all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...