Sunday, January 1, 2012

Impromptu, Me?

Sometimes I think I am as much a study in contrasts as my Grandma Dotter (a story for another day).  One of those ways is that I love planning, preparing, scheduling and thinking through parties/gatherings well in advance.  I am very type A and lawyerly in this.  However, I also very much love the occasional unplanned or nearly unplanned gathering at our house. The later, became our late December story.

As you may have noticed, we try to host a gathering of some sort at least once a month, every month but December.  I avoid December because there are so many other parties, so many other things going on just so much taking over everyone's lives and I don't think we need more of that. However, upon reflection and almost no planning we hosted five gatherings this month ranging from two friends crafting with me earlier in the month to parties of a dozen.  In the last week or so of December our hosting went like this:

  • December 23rd -- on a couple days notice we had a pizza lunch for four couples and four kids.  Those that live in OK each brought a piece of the party to celebrate the Morans and their growing family (oh and Christmas together).
  • December 24th -- breakfast with the Morans and us.  Quiet, simple, and lovely before the flurry of activity that was to follow. This is our second year of this, so I'm not sure it counts as unplanned other than we only decided to do it a day or two before.  It works perfectly if they pick up pastries and we make coffee, tea, and share whatever else we have on hand (fruit, fudge, etc...)
  • December 28th -- I was so incredibly exhausted in the afternoon that I was fairly afraid I might fall asleep while being in charge of both our kids, and proceeded to conjure all the scary things that might happen while I slept.  So, obviously, I decided to back home made bread and invite people on facebook/twitter to come share an impromptu dinner with us.  (My sister says the more obvious thing would have been to put on a movie and watch with them-- but I'd promised myself no TV time for til 4pm, randomly).  Bethany, Peter, Ashtyn and Tracie joined us for Pepperoni and Sausage rolls made with home made bread, cinnamon rolls, chips, and roasted carrots fresh from our garden.  Dinner and conversation with our friends was fabulous.  Oh, and I stayed awake all afternoon.  Everyone was happy!
  • December 31st -- On Thursday, I sent an email to a few people inviting them to come see the Muppet Movie with us.  Due to some inspiration from my Mom this slowly morphed into a post-movie New Year's Eve party at our house complete with her traditional toasting goblets, wonderful cheese (thanks Able!), lots of carbs, and a few new food experiments.  The party included our family, my mom, Uncle Able, Katie, Tracie, and later Erik and Kellie.  Granted, this NYE party shut down not long after 9pm when our kids were clearly up past their bedtimes and ceasing to handle that well.  It was simple, delicious, casual, fun, and again, almost no plan.
Turns out that I really like the impromptu party.  There is only one real drawback as our buddies from Tulsa, Norman, and elsewhere don't generally get to join us in the fun.  Not to worry though, we already have two planned parties in the works for January and I'm sure an impromptu gathering or two as well.  We hope you can join us or that you try out the impromptu party idea.  All you need is:

  1. Send an invite quickly via email, text, facebook, twitter or your friends' social media of choice.
  2. Decide what pieces you are going to handle and whether you are asking others to contribute too.  In my experience, guests are more than happy to pitch in, particularly when it is very last minute fun.  Alternatively, just order food!
  3. Grab some serving dishes, plates, utensils and enjoy a fun, unexpected break with your friend.  
Then share the fun with us!  

May your New Year be full of unexpected fun, wonderful friends, and delicious foon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...