Friday, November 7, 2008

Making it Home

The process from new house to "our home" is a long one, at least for us. It feels more like home all the time. Having people over and building new experiences and memories definitely helps build that. However, we are still working on the looking lived in, comfortable, fully furnished and our style. This week be bought bar stools and ordered drapes for the living room. Our bigger process though was planting bulbs last weekend. I love flowering bulbs. I am not really that much of a gardener and our style tends towards simple, low maintenance and perennial. This, of course, assumes we have a style as this our third home in seven years and the first we've owned and been free to plant as we choose. Although I have actually planted bulbs at each either in the ground or large pots.

Back to the bulbs though, I ordered well over 100 bulbs - tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, crocus and a peony. About half had arrived by last weekend and my parents volunteered to come help with the planting and bring some bulbs from their garden - more peonies and iris as well as some pansies for fall color. We hauled out the tools and got to work. We quickly discovered that the soil here is much better for making pottery (thick red clay) than growing things. Luckily, my Dad is an agronomist by training and loves soil science. He went and got some things to "amend" the soil so something might possibly grow. Then we dove it adding some of his mix to each hole. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but it was quite the fun group project. I am a bit intimidated to finish the job now that the rest of the bulbs have arrived. Looks like I will need to go buy some dirt and sand to give them a chance at growing.

The good news with so many bulbs though is that hopefully some will make it. I just love these flowers in the spring and feel that having them here is another step to making this our home. Take some time this weekend to think about what makes your house home and I think you'll find it is quite a collection of things all bound together in memories, people and things. Oh, and if anyone feels like planting some bulbs, you know where to find us!

4 comments:

r said...

So it won't be in time to plant bulbs, but we are planning to be in Oklahoma from about Dec. 28 to driving to Dallas the morning of January 1. I would love to spend some time with you and meet B, if you are going to be around then. Let me know!

Abbey said...

The great thing about living here is we're always here:) Send me the details when it gets closer and we'll work something out. Excited to maybe see you!

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

I so love having you guys close; sharing all these little, day to day, events. Thanks for including us so often. Love you. Mom

Chrissie said...

I would LOVE to plant bulbs =) When I have a house the first thing to go in the ground will be as many iris as I can find! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...