Tuesday, May 8, 2018

WITL 2018 - Monday


Welcome to the 2018 Week in the Life (WITL).  This is, I think, the 10th year I've participated in this project in some way.  Many years, it only lives on the blog and doesn't make it to a printed form, but either way, it is a great exercise, memory keeping device, and a close look at our ordinary daily life in closer detail than is ordinarily achieved.  If you are new to this project. I invite you to check out Ali Edwards' blog for more information.

So, off we go!

Monday morning: 10:11am I (again) forgot it was WITL until Ali posted about it so the photos begin a bit later in the day and all of today's photos are with my phone... tomorrow will be better!  My mom had sent a MarcoPolo (video text) about her Iris and garden tour. I suspected she would want to see what is blooming in my garden too so I sent her my iris video too, including the beauty above. 


10:33am - E had a fever over the weekend so we took a trip to the Dr. to have him checked out.  (Apparently,  my sister had been there just before us!)

 10:42 am - For all of these last 10 years, we have had the same pediatrician and I love him.  This basketball goal is often in the room we're assigned and all the kids love it.  Last week B was dunking on it during his appointment even though he now towers over it!  The diagnosis is in -- Strep throat so no going to school for E today or tomorrow!
 11:41 -- We've been to Sonic to get teacher gift cards, talked to my sister about plans for Zane's surgery, picked up his medicine and headed home.  I'll make up the work time later in the day (hooray job flexibility!).  He has lunch before heading to his nap--- He sends Grandma & co a diagnosis report.... and Moose eats the remains of his grilled cheese so we have to make another ... sigh. I'm also not so sure he napped...

There is a gap in photos here as I work til just after 4pm.  As I'm reviewing M&B's Monday folders it becomes clear we need to get a lot of supplies and take a trip to the library so we load up.  At the library, we get B a replacement library card (for his extra credit and because we need a physical card to check out his books on hold) and we pick up all our holds.  For me: Girls Burn Brighter and Then She Was Gone;  For B: Warrior Cats- Book 6 - The Darkest Hour; For M - Dear America (I've forgotten which one, but she is reading any in this series that she can find.  I'm also reading Circe and Killers of the Flower Moon: Osage murders and the Birth of the FBI--because sometimes all your holds come in at once?


5:25pm


 Next up -- Target -- we realized we need supplies for B's desalination project (plastic wrap and large rubber bands) and M's Mini Society project --- large quantity of modeling clay; and support people presents--- homemade cookies, cute tin pails, cellophane (now called clear gift wrap??)-- see below. 

5:42pm - I love the action shot of the boys as we're checking out!
 6:20pm -- B normally would have been in swimming this time, but his regular pool was closed for maintenance and he has A LOT of deadlines this week for school so we did those things instead.  Here is his assembled solar desalination set up.  It is due next week, but we're doing some test runs this week to figure it all out.
 7:00pm - Making Good to the Grain - whole wheat chocolate chip cookies to go on the teacher pails.
 7:11pm - This recipe is fast and delicious --- add cinnamon for the best result!
 7:51 - I used some scrapbook supplies we had on hand to make cute tags - The stamp says "something sweet." I added our name and B threaded the tags on to the ribbons on the pails.
 8:26pm - Assembly line for the win! Nine pails completed. I lined each with wax paper and added cookies to fill.  Then, I wrapped them in cellophane and tied it closed with ribbon we had on hand.  M was in charge of curling and cutting ribbon.  These will go to: 1 music teacher, 2 gym teachers, 2 librarians, 1 PreK cafeteria worker, 1 bus driver, 1 enrichment teacher, 1 art teacher.  Later in the week we'll bake again to make plates of cookies for the: office staff, janitors, and main cafeteria team... oh, and probably the counselor who leads safety patrol.  It takes a village!
 8:31 - B reading the newest Rick Riordan book - Trials of Apollo Book Three - The Burning Maze.  B and I have a mini book club around Rick Riordan books.  Any time a new one is released we read it together taking turns just a chapter or two a day.  We both love them and I love this tradition and how happy it makes him.  Just this year, I've realized how much B likes family reading time so at his urging we've started doing it again more.  We had dropped off due to crazy schedules and the older two reading well on their own.  (Brent is grading in the background).
10:26pm - Brent is still grading Neuro exams... and a little bit frustrated. I've ready some of Circe, done yoga (and chatted briefly with Chrissie about it), and a few random chores and have rejoined him at the table.  We talk again about plans, particularly about Zane's upcoming surgery.  Brent suggests that we buy him the Nintendo Switch.  It is expensive, but feels like the right thing to do so we call and let them know.  He stops grading long enough to assemble the appropriate bundle of electronics and accessories.  We talk a bit more and I love this moment together:)

It is after 11 before we make it to bed... and the papers are still not completely graded. Tomorrow is another day.

Monday of WITL 2017 here
Monday of WITL 2016 here.
Monday of WITL 2015 here.
Monday of WITL2014 here.
Monday of WITL 2013 here.
Monday of WITL 2012 here.
Monday of WITL 2011 here.
Monday of WITL 2010 here.
Monday of WITL 2009 here.
Monday of WITL 2008 here

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...